4.5b40 Dropbox syncing better, but still weird

Options
hazmat
hazmat
Community Member

I just updated and the UI to start syncing is still weird. I tap Dropbox, then it searches for my vault. Once it finds it it shows the path to it. I suppose from there I'm supposed to tap that. I tap it and then I guess I'm supposed to tap Back. So I do that and don't see anything under Sync Service. I have to back out of the Settings tab completely, then go back and I see Dropbox. I think the whole process here is a little vague and confusing.

Comments

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member
    Options

I agree. It's kind of an odd/inefficient UI at this point. My guess is that with syncing a gazillion times more reliable they'll begin to focus more on ironing out the design/flow issues. I think this beta is only a snapshot of the progress they're making toward the design spec.

I don't envy the work that was involved in figuring out how to structure the settings screens to support multiple vaults with independent sync settings, four different sync methods with various levels of support (e.g. iCloud is Primary vault only, I believe), multiple Dropbox accounts, etc. (Hmmm...on second thought, that sounds like a lot of fun.) I do kind of worry though that when they're finished it might still be confusing.

• Bushwhack
    Bushwhack
    Community Member
    Options

I noticed that at some point my main 1Password library got migrated to the main folder of Dropbox. When trying to enable Dropbox sync this resulted in it completely skipping this file in the main folder and only showing me an older version a few months ago that was in the folder "1Password" does the app skip looking at root? Luckily I removed old copy and moved the root copy into that folder and it worked fine.

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

I've heard from Agile that for everything to work most seamlessly and reliably, the library should be under the 1Password folder. I'd like to actually move the 1Password folder to the Apps folder that a lot of applications seem to use now. Just to clean up the folder structure.

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member
    Options

That's interesting. I keep most of my vaults/keychains in /Apps/1Password/ and one in a folder with an unobvious name shared between me and my wife. I haven't had any trouble that I know of as a result. Perhaps it's old advice?

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe it just has trouble with it in the root, then.

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member
    Options

That could be. I don't think I've ever tried that.

• Gary SJ
    Gary SJ
    Community Member
    Options

for the first I can use the drop box sync as I have the Dropbox app installed on my iPhone - yeah. Much snappier - like it

• Thanks for the reports and the feedback everyone. There shouldn't be any need to keep your 1Password keychain in a 1Password folder in Dropbox, but if it's not being found then that's a problem.

• Bushwhack
    Bushwhack
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni‌
    I'd like to document then that on the latest ios beta, storing the 1password keychain in the root of Dropbox results in the keychain not being found.

• Thanks @Bushwhack, I will open an issue for it in our bug tracker.

This discussion has been closed.