Setup on iPhone and Dropbox shows individual files

Options
Dianeoforegon
Dianeoforegon
Community Member

I'm trying to help a user setup 1Password on their iPhone remotely. Since I can't see what she might have selected, I'm not sure what was incorrectly set.

This is what is showing up in DropBox on her computer.

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @Dianeoforegon,

Nothing specifically looks wrong in the screenshot. What exactly isn't working for her?

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member
    Options

It's not syncing. Is it supposed to show the individual items?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dianeoforegon‌,

Is it supposed to show the individual items?

You will not see your individual items inside the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox. This is because all the data there is encrypted. It will only be unencrypted when you view it inside 1Password. As @JasperP mentions above, that keychain looks exactly as it should.

Now, before I can give you instructions on how to help this user get synced up, we'll need to know a bit more about their 1Password ecosystem.

• Is there currently any 1Password data stored on the iOS device, or is the database complete on the main computer?
    • Please let me know the version numbers of both 1Password and the operating systems for all computers and devices currently using 1Password.

Once we know a few more details, we should be able to get it sorted out in no time! :)

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member
    Options

10.9.2, 1PW 4.1.3, iOS 4.3.2
    No data in iOS device other than one secure note for testing sync. All data on DropBox entered on computer.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dianeoforegon‌,

Thanks so much for confirming that for me! Since there's no information stored in the iOS app right now, the easiest thing to do is start fresh with a new install of the app. Let's try this:

• Tap & hold on the 1Password icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Delete the Data on iCloud (if it exists): http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html
    • Restart your iOS device
    • If the Dropbox app is not already installed on the iOS device, please do so now (and be sure to log in with the correct Dropbox account)
    • Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

• When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, select "I've Used 1Password Before" and sync via Dropbox

This should get you all sorted out, but please let me know if you run into any snags!

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member
    Options

If she is syncing via Dropbox, do you still do the delete data on iCloud?

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member
    Options

Just to verify. If you sync 1PW with Dropbox, do you have to also enable Documents & Data sync in iCloud prefs?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dianeoforegon‌,

If she is syncing via Dropbox, do you still do the delete data on iCloud?

This is mostly a precaution. If there is any 1Password data in iCloud, 1Password will locate it before asking the user if they would like to use Dropbox. Confirming that all 1Password data is gone from iCloud just makes the reinstall process a bit smoother.

If you sync 1PW with Dropbox, do you have to also enable Documents & Data sync in iCloud prefs?

You do not need to enable Documents and Data sync in iCloud preferences if you only use Dropbox.

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member
    Options

Did all these steps and it still showed incorrectly. We restore iPhone to original settings and it's still now syncing after adding Dropbox and 1pw iOS back. We created a new note on phone and I did see dropbox notification that new item was added but it never showed up in 1PW4.

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member
    Options

I logged into 1pw in browser and it's not syncing with the computer. No wonder the iPhone is wrong.

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member
    Options

Unlinked dropbox from computer. When we did it also deleted the 1pw data but no other data. (that should not have happened) Removed 1pw from dropbox since it had old data. However, when we open 1pw it is showing data we entered today. Obviously the data is stored elsewhere. I assume it's in User's Library/Application Support/ 1Password.

When I tell 1pw to sync to dropbox, it's asking to select vault. We deleted the second vault but it still wants us to select a vault.

I deleted the .plist in User's Library/Preferences. Restarted computer.

Still asks for vault to tell it to sync to dropbox. Also lost the most recent data entered today.

How do we get sync set to dropbox again?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dianeoforegon‌,

However, when we open 1pw it is showing data we entered today. Obviously the data is stored elsewhere.

In 1Password 4 your data is stored locally as well as in the sync source, so removing the 1Password data from Dropbox will not delete your data. (This is done to ensure that accidental deletions of the 1Password.agilekeychain don't actually delete your entire database!)

When I tell 1pw to sync to dropbox, it's asking to select vault. We deleted the second vault but it still wants us to select a vault.

I apologize for the confusion here. The prompt is asking for you to select the location you would like the vault to sync to. We're working on making this more clear in the future, but for now, please click the 'choose vault' and select Dropbox.

Thanks for your patience as we work to get this all sorted out! :)

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member
    Options

After selecting DropBox it's all working correctly now. Somehow during the initial setup on iPhone the sync between computer and DropBox lost it's connection.

RE: instructions to select a vault. This really needs to be amended. Give a choice and get rid of this select vault. While I would want to be sure all my vaults are backed up to DropBox, When you only have one it's confusing. How many new users even know what a vault is?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dianeoforegon‌,

I'm so glad to hear that things are finally all sorted out for you! Again, I apologize for the confusion. Thanks so much for providing your feedback here. We try to keep 1Password as user-friendly as possible, and it's clear we have a bit of polishing to do here.

If you have any further questions, we're here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.