Where is 1Password 4.2 for Mac update? [website version available; MAS version will come from Apple]

dchas
dchas
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

I saw my wife's computer had a notice to upgrade to 4.2. I followed the instructions and it seemed to work fine. I went to my computer and don't see the same notice. In fact, I can't find an item in the menus that says, Check for Updates. And oddly, I don't see anything on the Agile Bits' website about it. Did I just fall for a phishing expedition?!! I'm running 4.1.2 which I gather is from the Mac App Store, but it doesn't say anything about upgrades either. ??

Comments

• jzj
    jzj
    Community Member

From the release notes link, it appears there is an App Store version of 1Password 4.2. The App Store shows only v4.1.2. Is the App Store v4.2 release imminent?

• Hi @jzj,

At the moment, it is only available through our website. We submitted version 4.2 to the Mac App Store this morning, but is currently Waiting for Review. Once Apple approves the update, it will be released. Hopefully it won't take too long! :)

• Hi @dchas,

Don't worry - version 4.2 is legit. But at the moment, it is only available through our website. We submitted version 4.2 to the Mac App Store this morning, but is currently Waiting for Review. Once Apple approves the update, it will be released. Hopefully it won't take too long!

• bruiserq
    bruiserq
    Community Member

Can you explain why, when upgrading from a previous version to 4.2 this morning, there were attempts by the updater to access mars.jpl.nasa.gov, asia.nikkei.com, static.parsely.com and cloudfront?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bruiserq,

Was it Little Snitch reporting attempts to access those sites? The reason for that is explained in the Little Snitch and domain names section of this article:

1Password and Your Privacy

Please let us know if that answers your question. :)

• curtbeavers
    curtbeavers
    Community Member

can i download from your website and update my app store version?

• bruiserq
    bruiserq
    Community Member

Thank you, that does answer my question. Pity it happens: 1password customers tend by definition to be security conscious!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @;curtbeavers,

Unfortunately, there are several small differences behind the scenes in 1Password, depending on if you purchased from the Mac App Store or the AgileBits webstore. We can help you switch over if you would prefer, but you cannot use the webstore version to update your Mac App Store version. As @JasperP says above, we're hoping that the Mac App Store will release the new update for users there soon! :)

• jackl4
    jackl4
    Community Member

May I download the 4.2.1 zip file and update my current 4.1 version now? I did buy from the Mac App store.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad that helped, @bruiserq.

Little Snitch reporting CloudFront CDN access this way needn't diminish you being security conscious about it. :)

• pomme4moi
    pomme4moi
    Community Member

I saw that version 4.2 of 1Password for Mac has been released. When I go to the Mac App Store, however, it still shows version 4.1.2. How do i get the update to 4.2?

• pomme4moi
    pomme4moi
    Community Member

Thanks. Clear.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jackl4,

If you purchased from the Mac App Store, you'll have to be patient for just a bit longer. The 4.2 update is currently being reviewed by Apple. As soon as they approve it, it will be released!

• Jasper
    edited March 2014

Hi @pomme4moi,

Like the post @AndrewParker‌ helpfully linked to mentioned, the update will be coming to the Mac App Store soon. Stay tuned! :)

• sparky22
    sparky22
    Community Member

Still waiting...any further word on the date?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sparky22,

We've submitted the version 4.2 update to the Mac App Store and it is currently being reviewed by Apple. As soon as it passes their approval it will be released, and they don't inform us of exactly when that will be. Hopefully the wait won't be much longer and we appreciate your patience! :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I see that the latest version of 1PW is 4.2.2. Does that mean that you have abandoned the old system where odd number updates were from your web site, and even number ones from the App Store? If so, I think it is a good change, but you should have told us about this. And how does one now distinguish between the two versions?

• emac50
    emac50
    Community Member

I assumed when I purchased from the App Store I would be getting the same level of service as the agilebits site, but that does't seem to but true. My App Store version is at 4.1.2 where as the agilebits download version is at 4.2.2. Why such a discrepancy? I assume these updates are important to have, yet I don't have the ability to receive them.

• ralphdaily
    ralphdaily
    Community Member

Will the pending MAS 4.2 update introduce the same sync bug as the current website download? Just want to know whether to hold off when the update appears

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Timing mostly explains it. It takes a week or two after an app is submitted to the App Store for Apple to complete their acceptance procedure, so there will always be a delay.

In addition, it used to be true (though I think AgileBits may have changed this in response to user comments) that the distinction between web store and App Store versions was shown in the last digit of the version number.

• @danco,

We are updating the About screen to show if the app is from the Mac App Store.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @danco,

Here are some tips for distinguishing versions.

If you see 1Password 4 in the main app menubar you're running an AgileBits website/beta version, with License… and Check for Updates… under that menu:

And if it's a beta then BETA will be part of the version text in the About 1Password window.

If you see 1Password in the main app menubar you're running a Mac App Store version, without License… and Check for Updates… under that menu:

And there's no Updates tab in the Preferences window.

I hope that helps. :)

• Jasper
    edited March 2014

Hi @ralphdaily,

The latest website version (4.2.2) should have the sync issues fixed. Version 4.2.2 is the version that will be released on the Mac App Store once Apple approves it. Version 4.2 won't appear on the Mac App Store, as it had some sync issues.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@sjk, what a helpful summary! Any chance something like that could be made a sticky at the top of the forum? We seem to get lots of questions, and some confusion, about which version is which!

Stephen

• Hi @emac50,

Like @danco said, it takes a bit longer for the Mac App Store version since Apple needs to approve it.

We've submitted the latest update to the Mac App Store and it is currently being reviewed by Apple. As soon as it passes their approval it will be released.

Hopefully the wait won't be much longer. We appreciate your patience!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

There's quite a chance of that, @Stephen_C … in some form. :)

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Thanks @sjk.

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

On a related note, it never hurts to clarify that 1Password updates for the Mac App Store version will only come directly from Apple. Purchased 1Password from Apple? Get all your updates from them, too. :)

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member

I hear that there is a sync bug in the 4.2 version. I am on the Mac app version so the 4.2 version is not yet available for me to update. Does it also mean that if the update becomes available that it may be better that I DON'T upgrade to 4.2 and wait for the next minor release version so I can bypass the sync bug?

This discussion has been closed.