Just getting saddled up with 4.5b41

Options
bmike
bmike
Community Member

I'm about to make a good backup of my Mac and iOS files and jump into beta with the same data set.

I looked over the pinned posts in this room and most seem to be obsolete and/or about what changed for 4.0 as opposed to what testers starting now should do to get set up initially. Is there any advice for getting going?

I have the iOS v 4.3.2 from the store installed and will start with 4.5b41 on my device. Should I uninstall the old version or does the beta play nice with the shipping version on the same device?

Comments

• donnywdavis
    donnywdavis
    Community Member
    Options

I have both the App Store version and the beta on both of my iOS devices and have not had any issues with it so far. I do not have the betas set up to sync through Dropbox or iCloud at the moment and just do a Wi-Fi sync with 1P on my Mac and so far that has worked beautifully. I have not had any issues so far having both iOS versions installed at the same time though.

• bmike
    bmike
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! I was expecting to beta test my Mac version as well, but I don't see that in hockey app so I'll start with iOS testing only.

I tried iCloud syncing but got a "no data" error which I presume is due to the beta container being different than the production/release Mac container. I had one glitch on WiFi sync and will report that separately. I'll plan on moving the beta 1Password to my home screen and hide the App Store version in a folder for times when I need iCloud sync for current data or the beta has a glitch that prevents me from using it as a primary tool.

• donnywdavis
    donnywdavis
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah the iOS beta versions use a different container than the production version for iCloud. To sync iCloud back to the Mac you will also have to set the iCloud container on the Mac to the beta container.

To get the Mac version just download the trial app from the online store and then in settings there is an option to activate beta builds under the Update tab.

• bmike
    bmike
    Community Member
    Options

Most excellent. I use the MAS version and didn't see the beta option to enable.

• bmike
    bmike
    Community Member
    Options

WiFi sync will get me comfortable and then I can contemplate shifting the Mac if it looks like vaults is something I can test :-)

• donnywdavis
    donnywdavis
    Community Member
    Options

Awesomesauce. That's pretty much what I've done so far too with WiFi sync. The Mac beta is comfortable on iCloud but haven't gotten iOS saddled up on it yet either.

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have both the App Store version and the beta on both of my iOS devices and have not had any issues with it so far.

Thanks for helping out, @donnywdavis‌. As far as iOS is concerned, they're two separate applications, so you won't have issues if they're both installed. In fact, because the beta is very much a beta, we strongly recommend that you keep both installed, so that no beta issues ever get in the way of you accessing your data.

Welcome to the beta party, @bmike‌. The MAS version of 1Password can't do betas, but the web site version will recognise that the MAS version is installed and register itself. Remember to use command-control-Q to quit both the main app and 1Password mini if you're switching versions, to avoid issues with two instances of 1Password mini running at the same time.

• bmike
    bmike
    Community Member
    Options

I'm safely aboard both beta trains. I love that I can keep the old at finger's length and test both beta on "production" devices knowing I have backup and know how to activate them.

This discussion has been closed.