Syncing to both iCloud and Dropbox?

Options
mzehner
mzehner
Community Member

Prior to installing 4.2, I believe I've always had both iCloud and Dropbox syncing turned on - at least, that's how all of my iOS devices are set up. Now after installing 4.2 and getting the "syncing is disabled" message, it looks like it's not possible to set up both iCloud and Dropbox syncing - it tells me I must disable one to set up the other. Is this a change? I can't remember how settings were prior to 4.2.

If I have to choose, I'll have to go with Dropbox because I also use 1Password on Windows. But should I delete the data from iCloud? Will doing so somehow also delete the data from Dropbox? I'm nervous about doing anything until I get some guidance.

I've searched FAQs, forums, etc - can't find any reference to using both sync services at the same time, which surprises me.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Jasper
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @mzehner,

Using two syncing methods for a one vault has never been an option in 1Password 4 for Mac. But it is currently an option in 1Password 4 iOS, so that's probably how you were using the two sync methods.

With that said, we don't recommend using two syncing methods at once, and the ability to do so will be completely removed from 1Password for iOS in the next update. So switching over to Dropbox now is a great idea! :)

Just disable iCloud sync on all of your devices and you're set. If you'd like to delete the data from iCloud after that, go ahead. It won't affect your Dropbox data.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

• mzehner
    mzehner
    Community Member
    Options

Great, thanks for clearing that up!

• TheJesusFish
    TheJesusFish
    Community Member
    Options

I realize that my situation is not a typical user situation (and that syncing in two locations is potentially nightmarish), but I wish you guys would reconsider and allow us a way to sync to both, even if it's on demand.

I own and sync 1password across my iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Windows PC, so the only syncing option I have is Dropbox. However, being able to also keep a copy of my keychain in iCloud means that in the event I get a new piece of Apple hardware, I have my keychain all ready to go. And, more importantly, I don't have to use another device to grab my Dropbox password (which is stored in 1password and is a 20 character jumble of letters and symbols -- really fun to type in on the iOS keyboard) so I can implement dropbox syncing.

Maybe implement an on-demand iCloud sync so that, in the event of new hardware, we can sync it to iCloud and not have to worry about needing the passwords that are stored in 1password to set up 1password.

Does that make sense? I feel like I'm babbling :p

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TheJesusFish‌,

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts here. I certainly see how iCloud could be useful in cases like this. However, after troubleshooting many merged databases and other unforeseen issues as a result of users having multiple sync solutions enabled, I'm not sure that this will be an option again in the future.

I do however have a solution that can make your life a bit easier, should you need to upgrade devices and enter long passwords manually. Have a read-through our article here: Towards Better Master Passwords. It discusses how to create secure passwords that are both easier to remember and simple to type! I have updated my Dropbox password to use Diceware, so that if I ever do need to type it in, it's a simple matter, even on an iOS keyboard.

Please do let us know if you have any further questions :)

This discussion has been closed.