Can't save new logins directly to secondary vaults.

Options
mrmachine
mrmachine
Community Member

When working with multiple vaults (one for each company I work with), it doesn't appear to be possible to create a new login directly in a secondary vault using the browser extension (or 1Password Mini).

The "1Password Save Login" dialog only has options to "Save new Login in Primary Vault" or "Update existing Login in Primary Vault".

So then I have to switch back to my primary vault, "copy" that login to the secondary vault, confirm it actually copied safely to the secondary vault, switch back to the primary vault, delete it from the primary vault and then switch back to the secondary vault I am working in.

Also, how about a keyboard shortcut to switch between vaults? Or an option to search all vaults in 1Password Mini? Maybe display the vault logo next to matching passwords from secondary vaults.

Cheers.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrmachine,

To switch vaults in the 1Password mini AutoSave window, first click on the lock icon:

Then select a vault where your Login item will be saved:

Vault switching keyboards are on the horizon. Their initial arrival in a future beta will likely be mentioned in 1Password 4 for Mac Release Notes (with Show betas selected).

Multi-vault searching is a common request (e.g. here) and under consideration. Some way of identifying which item is in which vault would probably come along with it. :)

I hope that information is helpful!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

And look what showed up in 4.3.BETA-5:

• Added keyboard shortcuts for switching vaults.
  • mrmachine
    mrmachine
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for pointing that out. It's a little non-intuitive, as that giant 1Password logo doesn't really look like a click-able button.

However, I would still like to request that the currently activated vault is pre-selected as the default when saving a new login. You have to click on the vault logo and you see which vault is selected before choosing to save a new password, so it seems really strange that the dialog reverts to the primary vault.

And perhaps make it more obvious that it can be changed in the dialogue.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback and request, @mrmachine.

Defaulting AutoSave to the Primary vault was an intentional change, made to help reduce accidentally saving items to a secondary vault that's synced/shared with someone you don't want getting those items. I understand how awkward it can using a secondary vault where you want to be saving items and have to manually switch to it for every save, sometimes accidentally ending up with those items in your Primary vault. That's a personal usage scenario for me. However, I also understand why it is how it is now.

I appreciate and am happy to file your request for this. :)

• Colin Stuart
    Colin Stuart
    Community Member
    Options

I use two vaults - one with work-related passwords (Primary), one with personal.
    When I enter a new password for a personal site, a popup appears asking to save the password. However, only the work (Primary) vault is listed in the dropdown. How do I make both vaults appear?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Colin,

I've merged your topic with a similar one that answers your question about how to switch vaults in the AutoSave window. If you have any other questions please let us know. Cheers!

• extensioncord
    extensioncord
    Community Member
    Options

It would be great if you could set which vault was the default for new logins, rather than assume that the primary vault is always desired. There are many sharing scenarios.

The appearance of the control method for choosing the vault, while consistent across the application, is not at all obvious, and particularly confusing when there is an obvious control just to the right of it. You should add some sort of indicator to the icon that shows that it is a control. Clicking on a keyhole to produce a menu is obscure.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @extensioncord,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, it's appreciated! You're definitely not the first one to mention that it's a bit confusing how to switch vaults on the auto-save window.

• jaredmoody
    jaredmoody
    Community Member
    Options

I completely agree with extensioncord; this is confusing and unintuitive for me as well. I had to come here to figure out that I could switch vaults - it appeared that I could only save to my primary from the browser.

If I'm currently working in a secondary vault, I would expect logins to be saved in that same vault. The context shouldn't switch back to my primary vault without me telling it to do so.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jaredmoody,

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts about this, too. I've added them to our tracker.

I do see how it's counterintuitive for auto-save to unconditionally default to the Primary vault while switched to, and maybe working with items from, an active secondary vault. Even knowing that's how it works I'll still occasionally accidentally save an item to the Primary vault, usually quickly realized (fortunately) in a "where did it go?" moment when failing to find it for testing right afterwards while still in a secondary vault. At times I've wished a certain secondary was the Primary, and vice versa, because of that. But, preferably, an option for auto-save to default to the active (or even any other) vault. :)

internal reference number: OPM-1579

This discussion has been closed.