1Password and Mini not syncing

Options
iBozz
iBozz
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

1Password v4.2.2 (422001) appears to have all my expected log-ins, as it has since v4 was released into the wild.

But ...

... there's always a but isn't there ...

... 1Password Mini (I think that's what it is, it's the thing within Safari v7.0.2 (9537.74.9)) contains many but by no means all of the same entries - from which I infer, in my congenital IT phobia and ignorance, that they are not syncing.

I am, or at least should be, syncing via DropBox although I'd be quite happy to do it via iCloud if that makes more sense. However, I use DropBox for all my other syncing and don't really want to stop so doing just for the one application unless that is the best advice.

So, what have I done wrong and how can I correct it without generally screwing up the main database?

I'm running under Mavericks 10.9.2 Build 13C64 on a 27" quad-core i7 late 2009 iMac.

For example, the log-in details for this site are in 1Password but not in Mini, as are those for apple.com - and that's in just the first dozen entries under A!

What I am having to do is try Mini first and then, if that doesn't have the correct entry I have to open 1Password and either launch from there or copy and paste the details into the relevant log-in page.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jasper
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @iBozz,

I'm sorry that you're having trouble. The main app and mini both access the same database, so there's actually no real syncing between the two.

Could you please open the main app and edit one of the logins that does not display in mini and ensure that display is set to Always:

Please let me know if that helps! :)

• iBozz
    iBozz
    Community Member
    Options

That's it! Thanks, Jasper.

I don't know how it happened, or indeed why or when, but that option was set to Never Show in Browser.

I hadn't noticed that option as I'm generally an "as is" user and rarely tinker about with settings which I do not fully understand.

Maybe I should actually RTFM! ;)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iBozz,

On behalf of @JasperP, thanks so much for letting us know that you're all sorted out! I'm glad that was the solution. It might help you to know that I have fallen victim to this 'display' option a few times myself. ;)

If you need me, I'll be in the corner reading the manual ...

• iBozz
    iBozz
    Community Member
    Options

May I reopen this at a slight tangent?

Possibly, or more likely probably, I find due to congenital ignorance on my part that whilst mini and the main application on the iMac are now getting along just fine and are now so close as to probably want to settle down and start a family my poor iPad version is feeling a tad paranoid and left out in the cold and not [fully?] syncing!

A new log-in which I set up on the iMac a few days since appears in both Mini and Main, yet does not appear on my iPad.

I sync, although thinking about that assertion perhaps i should say thought I sync'd, via DropBox but clearly that either no longer works, is working sporadically or i am overlooking the bleeding obvious!

Of course, without checking every single login account I cannot be sure which, if either, of the iMac/Mini or iPad version is correct and it may indeed be that both have items missing from the other so I would hope that any solution would ensure that I didn't lose too much data.

I don't really mind if I sync over DropBox, iCloud or even via a piece of string stretched between two empty cans, but something is clearly amiss so any advice would be much appreciated.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iBozz,

The simplest way to sort this out is to simply reset your Dropbox sync and start off with a nice fresh 1Password.agilekeychain. Let's try this:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

• iBozz
    iBozz
    Community Member
    Options

Looks good so far!

Thanks for the advice.

• Jasper
    Options

On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.