Syncing the same vault with more than one service [No longer supported in 4.5 and beyond]

Options
jmreekes
jmreekes
Community Member
edited March 2014 in iOS

I've seen screenshots of a primary & secondary sync services. In my betas, I can only use iCloud or Dropbox, not both. Is there a setting that I'm missing?

Comments

• Good morning @jmreekes‌. You're not missing any settings. Starting in 1Password 4.5 for iOS we are only going to allow syncing to a single service.

• elysiumfusion
    elysiumfusion
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni may I ask why that decision was made?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @elysiumfusion‌,

Basically, too many issues with using multiple different sync services (especially since they don't work the same way) for the same data file. In order to maintain the consistency of the data file and to keep it properly sync'ed, we're only going to support one sync service for each vault.

Note that in 4.5, we're also supporting multiple vaults, so you can have different vaults with different sync services, just not the same data file with multiple services.

It's kind of like having 5 duplicate packages that needs to arrive at the same place to fit together properly and sending it through 5 different shipping companies may cause some problems down the line. Such as not arriving at the same time, some drops causing some damage, and so on.

• TheJesusFish
    TheJesusFish
    Community Member
    Options

Will there be an easy way to keep two separate vaults in sync so that we can use icloud and dropbox?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @TheJesusFish,

Yes, you can use Dropbox to keep one vault in sync and the other one with iCloud. It's not one sync service for all vaults, just one sync service per vault.

At the moment, there are some restrictions that we'll work around in the future. First, only the primary vault can be used to sync with iCloud, Dropbox, and/or Wi-Fi. For the secondary vaults, you can only use Dropbox for them.

We're working to work around these restrictions, so that each vault can be used with any sync services.

• TheJesusFish
    TheJesusFish
    Community Member
    Options

That is actually perfect for what I would like to do. Maybe if I explain what I'd like to do, you can tell me if it's possible.

Have my main vault sync with iCloud, making setup on new devices a cinch.
    Have a second vault, identical to the main vault, sync with Dropbox so I can use 1password on Windows.

My question is whether or not there will be an easy way to ensure that logins stay in sync between vaults, making them identical.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @TheJesusFish‌,

The first part, yes, you can do that, use the secondary vault via Dropbox on Windows.

Now, the second part is not possible at the moment.

The vaults are isolated from each other, so there isn't a way to make changes in one vault and have it be sync'ed to another vault (for now). In the desktop apps, you can certainly copy or move them between vaults but you cannot link them in a way that they'll stay updated in multiple vaults at the same time.

This discussion has been closed.