b53 visual sync indicator [Sync indicator is not yet re-implemented, will fix soon]

Options
failgunner
failgunner
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

So on the iPhone the sync icon animates while syncing but it doesn't on the iPad. Just updated both 5 mins ago and setup sync again.

Comments

• Thanks @failgunner‌, I'll be sure this one is in our bug tracker. Glad to have you on the beta!

• failgunner
    failgunner
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni‌ No worries. There needs to be some visual indicator. I liked how it was in the public release with the settings gear animating. Updated to latest version as of this post.

• ningwie
    ningwie
    Community Member
    Options

First of all, sorry for hijacking this thread.

I just deleted all my data from a previous Wi-Fi sync on 4.5 RC2 and then synced with Dropbox. During the sync the gear icon didn't spin (I guess you removed that? But I really liked it as a visual "sync in progress" indicator.), so I went into 'Settings' and there the sync icon was spinning. And it kept spinning, even after the sync was finished. I always assumed that this endless-spinning-icon was a bug on the previous release versions, so I just wanted to ask:
    Is the spinning sync icon in 'Settings' a visual indicator of 'syncing going on right now' or 'sync enabled in general'?
    And will the gear icon spin again someday?

Thanks!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@failgunner, we might come up with a better indicator for the new version, maybe something to the style of iOS 7 progress bar loading on the bottom toolbar.

@ningwie:

During the sync the gear icon didn't spin (I guess you removed that? But I really liked it as a visual "sync in progress" indicator.),

We didn't intentionally remove it, we just didn't had time to re-implement the code to make it work. When rebuilding the app, many of the features also have to be re-implemented to ensure it works great with the new system in place.

so I went into 'Settings' and there the sync icon was spinning. And it kept spinning, even after the sync was finished

It shouldn't be spinning at all. The only progress indicator is in the Settings > Sync, it'll say something like Sync in Progress. I can't reproduce it but we'll investigate this.

so I just wanted to ask: Is the spinning sync icon in 'Settings' a visual indicator of 'syncing going on right now'

In the current shipping version, it's syncing going on right now. It's not supposed to spin if there's no sync. We did have a bug in the 4.3.x series where it'd just constantly spin even if there is no syncing going on. This should be fixed in 4.5 or in the upcoming 4.5.1. update that we're working on now.

And will the gear icon spin again someday?

Yes, there will be a visual progress indicator in the main interface without requiring you to go to Settings to see it. As to how it will look, that's up in the air at the moment, our designer will work on this for the next series of updates to come.

This discussion has been closed.