iOS icon [Yes, the current icon design is final minus the beta stripes]

Options
steffen
steffen
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

Hi,

Is the current icon for the iOS beta a place holder or a final call? Actually, it would be nice to improve the current icon as the grey blends too easily with different home screen images and the circular keyhole stands out unfavourably from the rest of the app icons.

Comments

• Robs
    Robs
    Community Member
    Options

I like the new icon a lot. When I look at the old icon now, the circular keyhole seams silly small. If you have the app in a folder (like I have), it is much easier to see because the circle is bigger and easier to see.
    Last, not least it fits much better to iOS 7.

• Hi steffen and Robs,

I may make some minor modifications before release but for the most part the beta icon (minus the yellow and black striping) is final. Can you show me some examples of where the gray blends in with home screen images? To some extent this is going to happen with any color, particularly any black, white, or grayscale color. I'm also unclear on how the circular keyhole stands out unfavorably? I do agree that it stands out but I wouldn't say unfavorably. The sizing and placement of everything matches up nicely to the iOS 7 icon grid system. Here is the non-beta icon on a default home screen: http://d.pr/i/gE5r.png

• Anton Von Sierakowski
    Anton Von Sierakowski
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I like the current icon and as 1PW is on the locked area of the home screen it blends regardless.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3ak8z0oqurkqnz/2014-04-04 ip4 home scr.jpg

• gregspeechley
    gregspeechley
    Community Member
    Options

I really like the new icon, great work!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

I'm glad you like the new icon, we really appreciate your feedback!

• steffen
    steffen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I also like the new icon - although as you can see from the linked screenshot below the keyhole sticks out against the more regular rectangular outline of the other iOS app icons?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6or3mdn7inrryj/2014-04-12 08.19.11.png

• MikeT
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @steffen,

The keyhole matches the grid design that Ive implemented for iOS 7, they're encouraging all apps to follow it. This is what Apple's encouraging:

You see the same style in the iTunes, Safari, and Shazam apps there. Similar apps are Settings, iTunes radio, and so on.

Notice how when you update 1Password, the downloading/installing progress matches the keyhole? That's precisely because it matches the grid layout suggested by Apple.

• ssdeg7
    ssdeg7
    Community Member
    Options

The new icon is nice, but I can' say I'm not going to miss the previous one, it was simply amazing. The previous icon made me want to grab it off my screen and start playing with it.

• MikeT
    Options

@ssdeg7,

I agree! Dan did an incredible job with the previous icon, the whole team wanted to play with it the moment Dan revealed it to us!

• steffen
    steffen
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, the new icon is a huge improvement (in a sense that it now matches the style of iOS 7). Although, it could still be more abstract / even less photographic. The thing is that backgrounds are often greyish, so the current icon will make the keyhole stick out. If that was the intention, it's definitely succeeded on my home screen.

• MikeT
    Options

We'll see what we can do to subdue it a bit.

This discussion has been closed.