1PasswordAnywhere extension

Options
2»

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I do believe that AgileBits is “on the record” as working on some sort of 1PasswordAnywhere functionality for the 1P/4 keychain.

I'm not aware of this, but perhaps you know something I don't know. ;)

Thanks for listening, and for giving us as much of a sense as you have about how the picture looks from your side.

I do what I can. Thank you for all your feedback. I know it may not seem like at times, but we do process all of it and take it into account.

iCloud Drive…will not support Linux or Android.

At this time, that's what they have announced, yep. I'm a bit surprised that they are even adding Windows to the mix, but that is a great step forward. :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

I'm not aware of this, but perhaps you know something I don't know.

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/23582/1passwordanywhere-update-for-version-4-planned-for-a-future-update-no-timeframes

I'm a bit surprised that they are even adding Windows to the mix.

Applen has supported a great many technologies and apps on Windows, starting many, many years ago with iTunes and the protocol now known as Bonjour.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Applen has supported a great many technologies and apps on Windows, starting many, many years ago with iTunes and the protocol now known as Bonjour.

And frankly, they'd be stupid to ignore the dominate desktop OS if they want to be taken seriously as a cloud services provider.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

>

And frankly, they'd be stupid to ignore the dominate desktop OS if they want to be taken seriously as a cloud services provider.

Indeed. Many Apple services and apps have been made available on Windows over the years, but even the ones that made sense to outsiders took a while for them to come around to. iTunes is a prime example of that. If it were any other company it wouldn't have been a surprise when iTunes for Windows debuted since it was a sound business decision. It was still quite a surprise when it actually happened, though. (At least to some folks.) :)

Perhaps your crystal balls are clearer than mine. After iCloud syncing was unavailable for Windows for years, I didn't see iCloud Drive for Windows coming.

Hm. I won't disagree with Mike, but I might quibble about the difference between his use of "plan" and your use of "working on". ;)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

I might quibble about the difference between his use of "plan" and your use of "working on".

A fair point.

Unhappily.

iTunes is a prime example of that. If it were any other company it wouldn't have been a surprise when iTunes for Windows debuted since it was a sound business decision.

IMO it made sense for Apple to hold up on a Windows release of iTunes until the iTunes Store was sufficiently mature to be able to handle the increased traffic. iTunes for Windows also served to showcase Rendezvous (later renamed Bonjour), which allowed zero-configuration sharing of iTunes libraries on Windows networks.

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

One difficulty when it comes to talking about plans for 1PasswordAnywhere is that it relies on behavior that many systems are disabling. In the old days, you could open up your 1PasswordAnywhere data anywhere. All you needed was a web browser and the data. But web browsers (correctly) decided that having one HTML/JavaScript file load local data from your computer was dangerous, and one by one, they turned off the ability to do that.

Dropbox, for similar security reasons, has come close to doing the same as browsers have. They consider your other files on Dropbox as being more like files on your computer than files on a web server, and so do not want web pages to be opening and processing things in certain ways. We have worked with them to maintain an exception for 1PasswordAnywhere. We, and they, want to keep this working. At the same time, it makes sense, perhaps, for us to look for ways that give people the same utility as 1PasswordAnywhere, but rely on a different technology. (No, @benfdc‌, I am not promising a return of encrypted HTML export, but, well, who knows.)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

(No, @benfdc‌, I am not promising a return of encrypted HTML export, but, well, who knows.)

It's nice to know that I'm in your thoughts. :-)

This discussion has been closed.