Applications folder icon in Dock is now the 1Password icon [reason: Dock set to "Display as Stack"]

Options
gburleigh
gburleigh
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Mac

I'm surprised after installing 1password 4 for Mac, the icon for the Applications folder over in the right side of the doc is now the 1password icon. It still opens the applications folder normally. Is this intentional?

Comments

• gburleigh
    gburleigh
    Community Member
    Options

Running 10.9.2 Mavericks

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @gburleigh,

That's definitely not something 1Password would do. To remove the icon, and bring back the default:

1. Select your Applications folder and press Cmd + I to open the folder info panel. You can also open the info panel by option-clicking on the selected folder and selecting Get Info.
    2. Click on the icon at the top left corner of the info panel and press the delete key.
  • gburleigh
    gburleigh
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the instructions on how to clear it. How else would it have happened if it wasn't 1password?

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

I think it more likely that the OP changed the Dock view from "Folder" to "Stack". Since 1Password is the first app in the apps folder alphabetically, in Stack view the Apps icon in the Dock in "Stack" view will appear as the 1Password icon. I have mine like this and the Apps Folder is the 1P icon.

To change between Stack and Folder views, right click on the Dock icon and check "folder" instead of "stack" in the pop-up.

• gburleigh
    gburleigh
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the alternate solution. I did not change any settings. This appeared immediately after installing 1password. I recognize it would be an unusual result of installing the program. Perhaps the method I used to drag 1password to the applications folder caused it. I will research and post if I find a solution.

• Jasper
    edited April 2014
    Options

Thanks for the additional info!

Have you been able to get the Applications folder back to the default icon?

• gburleigh
    gburleigh
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, changing from stack to folder quickly resolved the issue. Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gburleigh,

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're all sorted out! If you run into any further snags, we're here to help ;)

• Tom_42
    Tom_42
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem as JasperP. Immediately after installing 1Password 4 Mac I dragged the application to the Applications icon on the dock. The application was moved correctly to the applications folder, but the icon for 1Password 4 Mac shows on top of my applications icon in the dock. I tried opening the Applications folder, getting info, selecting the upper left icon, and pressing delete. No change. I am running OSX 10.9.4. The attached file is a helpful screenshot to show you what's happening.

I edited the app-icon-round.icns file in the resources folder to figure out where the icon was coming from. The sixth size down is the one being displayed, hence the vertical bar on the left and small square on the right edited out of your icon in the attached image. I've checked the applications folder icns file. It is fine. The 1Password 4 Mac icon is being written over top of the applications folder icon.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Tom, right click the icon in the dock. From the pop-up, click 'display as Folder'...you currently have it as 'display as stack'.

This discussion has been closed.