What's the trick to changing username/password via the Web Form Details?

Options
soob
soob
Community Member

Hi All,

Occasionally I get a site saved with the wrong info selected as a username or password. I can click on 'Show web form details' and select a different field to be used as the username but I cannot get this change reflected in the main view; it still shows the old info. Ending the edit session (with Save) changes nothing other than reverting any changes I made in the 'Show web form details' pop-over including any deletions I made in there.

If I change the username in the main view, it changes the web form field (maybe it was tied to last name or something) which is not what I want.

How does one use the pop-over to reliably get any information changed?

Thanks, Jim

1Password 4.1.2 (412009)
Mac OS 10.9.2

Comments

• soob
    soob
    Community Member
    Options

Occasionally, the changes I make stick, but I've done nothing different that I can tell. When that happens, I've tried going right back in to make another change, following the same steps and it won't work again.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Jim @soob,

The username and password fields in the main item details correspond with the silhouettes in the web form details. For example, if you start with these main item details:

… and web form details:

… then change the password key silhouette in the web form details:

… the corresponding password field in the main item details will also be changed:

Inversely, changing the username and password fields in the main item details will change corresponding fields for the silhouettes selected in the web form details. So changing password:

… now changes confirmPassword in web form details:

That's the relationship between those two main and corresponding web form details fields. Are changes you're making to those and/or others not sticking?

• soob
    soob
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Right, the changes I make to which field to use as the password or username are not making any change to the fields in the main item details. Using your screenshots as the example, after moving the username silhouette from 'username' to 'email' should change the main item details username field from wendy-appleseed to media@agilebits.com but that isn't happening (it remains wendy-appleseed).

Ah, I just discovered the changes do take effect after clicking Save. This is confusing and non-intuitive. If I'm making changes, they should be reflected immediately, or at least consistently. I can move the username silhouette from one web form field to another but the main username does not change. Then before saving my changes I can change the contents of the main username field and this changes the new web form field with the silhouette.

Thanks, Jim

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi Jim, aka @soob. :)

Thanks for your feedback about making these types of main and web form field modifications. I agree that it's confusing how they're not dynamically displayed while they're being made so you can preview the results before saving them.

If the main password field is modified, just disabling the corresponding silhouette web form field will immediately display that change. And the main username field is modified, disabling and reenabling its corresponding silhouette web form field displays that change. But it appears that neither the main username or password field will display any web form field modifications until after the item is saved.

I'm filing a request to fix this. Thanks again for reporting it!

ref: OPM-1729

This discussion has been closed.