Syncing all over the show for 1PW4.x across multiple devices

Options
indietravel
indietravel
Community Member

Hi, I've got 4 vaults, Primary, Beta, Charlie, Disco. I run OSX Mavericks + iOS app.

Changes being made to my primary vault aren't being synced over dropbox to the iOS app.

Beta, Charlie and Disco are also synced via dropbox. These go out to staff who need varying access to passwords. Staff report changes made on my machine are being sync'd to their 1PW installs, but changes they make are not being sync'd to me.

Considering there are multiple vaults in play, what's the best troubleshooting steps.

Comments

• indietravel
    indietravel
    Community Member
    Options

Any advice on this is most welcome.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry I can't be more helpful (someone will soon be along who can be!) but I wonder whether this is in any way associated with the fact that the current version of the iOS app doesn't support multiple vaults (although the version currently in beta will).

Stephen

• indietravel
    indietravel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Stephen, I wouldn't think so as the sync problem is across multiple devices and platforms. While the primary keychain is sync'd with dropbox, the other three are synced via dropbox folders. But the architecture of this is beyond me. Would love to know the best way forward so we can get our team back in sync!

• indietravel
    indietravel
    Community Member
    Options

(Stephen, I meant to give you a 'star' in thanks, but realised later that that's for bookmarking, not showing appreciation. So thanks!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@indietravel‌ thanks for the comment, but I'm sorry not to have been of more help. However, I'm sure someone more expert than I will be along shortly to assist.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @indietravel,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we experienced a surge in support requests recently. We're doing the best we can to get back to our usual speedy replies as soon as possible.

It sounds to me like sync has gotten disconnected somewhere. The best way to sort this out is to simply reset sync across all computers and devices. It's going to be a bit tricky with all of the multiple vaults involved, but we should be able to make this work. Let's try this:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• On each Mac, go to File > Backup and run a fresh backup, just in case.

• On ALL of the Macs, syncing will need to be disabled for the shared vaults. Open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync. (Repeat on your Mac for all secondary vaults)

• Restart the Macs and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of. (To save yourself the trouble of re-sharing the folders, you can leave the shared folders themselves, but be sure to delete any 'vaultname'.agilekeychain files inside.)

• On the Mac in your primary vault, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• On your Mac, re-enable sync for secondary vaults to the appropriate shared folders.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• On the staff computers, open 1Password and go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to the shared Dropbox folder and select the 'vaultname'.agilekeychain inside. Confirm that Dropbox will merge the existing data.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page.

Please note, that to reset sync, all of the computers will need to be disconnected from the sync source and re-booted.

If you have any questions about the process, please don't hesitate to ask!

This discussion has been closed.