Sync issues - Mac is wrong, iOS is right

Options
Johnald
Johnald
Community Member

Hi all-

I was one of the many who did a widespread password reset post-Heartbleed. Everything was fine until I logged onto my work account on my Mac this morning. I got an error message when Dropbox was syncing (unfortunately, I didn't remember it, but it did say something along the lines of a file not being updated/sycned because it "didn't exist"...I think). My password keychain on my work account is now out of date. It's all the old passwords from before I reset them all. I tried to reset to yesterday but my restore options are either for this morning (wrong...I would imagine) or a few days older (definitely wrong).

My iOS app, however, is completely up to date. I'm worried I may lose my new passwords (as they are the ultra strong gobbledygook variety). How do I get my keychains, particularly on my Mac, to sync and update correctly?

Thanks!

Comments

• Johnald
    Johnald
    Community Member
    Options

Update: Now my iOS app isn't syncing. I got the attached error message.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Johnald,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we experienced a surge in support requests recently. We're doing the best we can to get back to our usual speedy replies as soon as possible.

I think we can get this sorted out by resetting sync for you:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• On both Macs, go to File > Backup and run an extra backup, just to be safe.

• On the Macs, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Macs and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• On the work Mac, go to Sync preferences and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault and then find the 1Password.agilekeychain file. Click this, and confirm.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

• Johnald
    Johnald
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help! I'll run through these steps and see if it works!

• Jasper
    Options

On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know if that works for you! :)

• Johnald
    Johnald
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan/Jasper. Everything seems to be back to normal now. Thank you!

• Jasper
    Options

Awesome! Glad to hear it's working now. :)

This discussion has been closed.