Handling Open URL from the clipboard when launching the iOS app

bmike
bmike
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

I find myself regularly having to dismiss the "Would you like to open this URL in 1Password?" dialog on iOS.

Are there any metrics or discussion to disable this after a user cancels this 5 (or 10 or 15) times in a row? Having an URL on my clipboard is basically a perpetual state of being for me as they are the number one data point I need to move across sandboxes when I work on iOS.

I hate to ask for yet another preference, but for me this is a cool feature that I'll use as an edge case as opposed to the default item. What might save a lot of time for users that intend for this to happen every launch is a bit of an impediment for me.

Would you consider making the interruption dialog occur after the user taps the globe control to the right of the settings icon?

If that's not a good default setting due to usage patterns, would you allow some users to suppress this check entirely or at least move it to the web browser view as opposed to the password lookup view? (Or if there is a time stamp on the clipboard contents, having it only offer for a copy that happened in the last 5 minutes might reduce some of the false positives where the app is trying to guess my intentions why I'm there to do something).

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Ditto. A non-interfering, non-prompting UI element would be much better. The first dozen times this happened I thought it was some bug.

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member

+1

I like the idea of only showing it when you switch to 1Browser.

• Robs
    Robs
    Community Member

The first few times that dialog showed up, I was like "ok, could be handy sometimes", until I realized how often I have URLs in my clipboard. Then I searched for an option to disable it but couldn't find one.
    So add me to the list that wants an option to disable that function.

• skylarp
    skylarp
    Community Member

Yes! I just yesterday submitted a report about how annoying this behavior is, especially since I usually open 1Password to… look up a password!

• gregspeechley
    gregspeechley
    Community Member

Yes please, only prompt when you switch to 1Browser and only if the URL was copied within the last 5 minutes or a similarly restricted timeframe.

• Nice idea everyone, I will be sure to file an issue for it. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.