Accessing 1Password from work

Options
millarbrown
millarbrown
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

I really would like to use 1Password as my all round password solution, it works great at home on my iMac and iPad however at work we cannot install any applications on our desktop and we have no access to Dropbox or iCloud is there any other way I can access my passwords ?

Comments

• millarbrown
    millarbrown
    Community Member
    Options

Please help me figure this out.

• spacemn_spiff
    spacemn_spiff
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I also am in the same situation, where I cannot install software on my work computer without IT approval. I want to buy the windows and iOS version of 1Password. Can 1Password work just with the extension in a browser?

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    Options

It is once again time to take your well appreciated IT staff out to lunch for pizza. Perhaps some beer to go with the pizza. Maybe a lot of beer (so make it dinner instead of lunch — can't have drunk IT staff wandering back into the office!) Bring along an iPad and show them 1Password and convince them of its utility for keeping work-related "stuff" secret and synced across multiple devices (and desktops). Now you're half-way home to them letting you spearhead a trial or getting an exception for 1Password on your work Mac.

I'm guessing that putting the 1Password application on a USB stick isn't permitted by your IT group? If this is allowed then the Mac will likely log all kinds of errors while the USB stick is removed but hey… that's just background log entries, right? ;)

Some companies block installation of software and others go to the extreme of whitelisting only certain web site properties (it's like the company wants you to only work while you're at work — that's crazy!) When you say "we have no access to Dropbox" do you mean that you cannot log into the Dropbox web site to access your files? If you can then you can use the 1PasswordAnywhere feature from there for read-only access to your saved data. It's not as slick as the browser extensions but it is way more than nothing at all.

@spacemn_spiff‌ the browser extension requires 1Password mini which is a part of the 1Password application bundle.

• millarbrown
    millarbrown
    Community Member
    Options

When I say No Access I mean that destination is blocked from our government desktops however it looks like I can get to iCloud is it possible I can run 1PasswordAnywhere from there ?

• spacemn_spiff
    spacemn_spiff
    Community Member
    Options

I have a windows work laptop that doesnt allow installation of apps that IT restricts. Is there a browser based app that can be run to access 1password?

• millarbrown
    millarbrown
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe, I use Firefox and IE9 are there add-ons that would allow access ?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

it looks like I can get to iCloud is it possible I can run 1PasswordAnywhere from there ?

Alas, it is not possible. 1PasswordAnywhere only works on Dropbox. And if the problem is that your work environment blocks all access to the Drobbox site, there won't be any browser-based way to get to your account. And 1PasswordAnywhere requires access via a web browser.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi guys.

@spacemn_spiff,

Is there a browser based app that can be run to access 1password?

That would be 1PasswordAnywhere, mentioned earlier in this topic.

It can also be used to access 1Password data in an Agile Keychain that's not stored on the Dropbox site, e.g. on a USB drive, like @JasperP explained: here.

@millarbrown,

I use Firefox and IE9 are there add-ons that would allow access ?

Access to 1Password data in iCloud currently requires the Mac or iOS 1Password application.

This discussion has been closed.