Two separate 1Password.agilekeychain files in Dropbox--how to resolve?

Options
kongjie@mac.com
kongjie@mac.com
Community Member

Just changed several passwords and realized the changes weren't made to my iOS app.

Somehow along the line, probably with installing 1Password 4, I created an additional keychain file.

My 1Password Mac file is in a folder "vault"; my iOS file is in a folder called "1Password".

I've already learned that you can't tell the iOS app to look elsewhere and that turning syncing on and off results in a Dropbox error.

There may be a couple of newer passwords on the iOS app, but the majority are on my Mac. How can I get back on one keychain file?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi kongjie@mac.com,

Let's reset sync to get everything on the right page:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

• SlopeGuy
    SlopeGuy
    Community Member
    Options

This sounds like it is going to delete everything in my 1password vault. Is that true?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SlopeGuy‌

I'm glad to hear that you're being cautious with your 1Password data. That's a good thing. Now, if we were doing these steps using 1Password 3, then yes. Deleting the keychain in Dropbox would effectively delete your 1Password database.

However, in 1Password 4 we've organized things a little bit differently, in part to ensure that accidentally deleting a 1Password.agilekeychain file is not the serious problem it was in version 3. In 1Password 4, your data is always stored locally in a default location within your /Library. When you select an option in Preferences > Sync, 1Password will copy the vault data, and store it in the appropriate location. When a change is made, 1Password will update both the 'local store' and the 'sync store' of your database.

When we delete the data in Dropbox, as we do when we reset sync, we are simply giving 1Password a chance to recreate a fresh 1Password.agilekeychain file. This usually clears up any discrepancies in data and gets everything synced up.

I hope this helps to explain things, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• SlopeGuy
    SlopeGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,

Thanks for that information. It’s good to know. I still have the same problem, however, even after trying your procedure several times.

My friend Dale had the same problem but was able to resolved it by deleting the 1password folder under DropBox (he still had a 1Password.agilekeychain file in the root of the DropBox folder); then when he restarted his iOS devices, he was able to select that file from the “Choose a Vault” display (see attachment). Hence, all was good for him, even though the location of the 1Password.agilekeychain file may not be where 1Password4 originally intended it; but no matter.

For me, on my iOS devices, when I select “Sync with Dropbox” from the “Choose a Sync Method” display (see attachment), and then enter my DropBox passcode, it takes me to the “Allow” display (see attachment). After selecting Allow, it briefly says “Authorizing” and then puts me back to the “Choose a Sync Method” display. Now when I choose “Sync with DropBox”, it takes me to the “Sync with Dropbox” display (see attachment) which contains my file information. Pressing on the info icon on the right takes me to the details (see attachment “Sync with DropBox details”).

But, my iOS devices are still not syncing to my mac. My suspicion is that the iOS devices are not looking at my 1Password.agilekeychain file which is located in the dropbox\1password folder, but you are the expert.

Any thoughts?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SlopeGuy‌

Thanks so much for including those screenshots and such a detailed report, it makes it so much easier to get things solved. In fact, you're very close to being all set up! When you are viewing the "Sync with Dropbox" display that displays your Dropbox account information, instead of tapping the "i" button, please tap on your name. This will display the list of keychains stored in your Dropbox account. Then simply tap the correct keychain, and you should be all synced up!

Please let me know how this goes. :)

• SlopeGuy
    SlopeGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Ok! I selected the keychain file under the dropbox folder on my iOS devices and voila; everything syncs now! Yeah!! Thanks so much for all your help Megan.

• Jasper
    Options

I'm glad to hear it's working now! On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• SlopeGuy
    SlopeGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, now I'm having trouble syncing my secondary vault to my other devices (iOS and 2nd mac). On my 1st mac, I have a secondary vault and have configured it with dropbox syncing. The secondary .agilekeychain files appears in my dropbox folder on my second mac, but 1Password (on 2nd mac) doesn't see it. iPhone doesn't see it either.

• Jasper
    edited May 2014
    Options

To add the secondary vault on your second Mac, please open 1Password, then double-click on the .agilekeychain file in the Dropbox folder (in Finder). Does that work?

• SlopeGuy
    SlopeGuy
    Community Member
    Options

That worked great! Thanks! How do I get my iOS device to see the secondary vault?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SlopeGuy,

You can add secondary vaults on your iOS device by going to Settings > Vaults > Add Vault > Sync with Dropbox. Tap on your Dropbox account, then select the keychain you wish to add!

This should get you all sorted out, but we're here if you have any further questions. :)

• SlopeGuy
    SlopeGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again Megan, that worked great.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SlopeGuy‌

Thanks so much for letting me know that you're all sorted out! I'm so glad my steps helped. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.