Master Password - how to find out when 1PW is open?

Options
Piffero_5152_Zinstag
Piffero_5152_Zinstag
Community Member

Hi

I have changed the master-password and written it down.

Now I want to access it from my android mobile - and it does not fit..

Before closing 1Password on my Mac (Maverick) I would like to look it up to be sure to be able to get back.

where do I find my master-password in 1Password?

Tx for help

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure I understand the problem but maybe it's that the new master password has not synchronised to the Android device. (I don't know if this is a problem because I don't use an Android device.) Have you tried using your old master password on the Android device?

1P does not save your master password anywhere so you can't find it in 1Password.

If you still have a problem let us know what version of 1Password you are using on each machine/device and how you synchronise between the Mac and the Android device.

Stephen

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Piffero_5152_Zinstag‌,

You cannot look up the master password, it is not stored anywhere. The encryption keys are accessible to 1Password the moment you enter your master password. 1Password will run some complicated math process to see if it can decrypt the data with your password and if yes, then it'll gain access to the encryption keys to start decrypting your data.

This also means that if you forget your master password, there is no way to recover it and we cannot reset it for you at all.

Right now, changing the master password in the Mac app does not sync it to other 1Password apps. So, your Android app may still work with the older master password. If you're using our beta version of 1Password for Android, you'll need to change the master password in there to match the one in the Mac app.

In the upcoming 1Password 4.3 update for Mac, it'll start syncing your master password changes to other apps.

• harryharryharry
    harryharryharry
    Community Member
    Options

This means: if I lose my master password, I have to buy the app again?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

This means: if I lose my master password, I have to buy the app again?

No, the master password is not the licence. You can get your licence from AgileBits if you bought 1PW from them.

But if you lose your master password, then you have lost all your passwords, and will have to start all over again.

So make sure you DON'T lose the master password.

This discussion has been closed.