[Feature Request] Enhancement to Password Generator in Browser Extension

Options
collide007
collide007
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

When trying to update a password for a site, most ask for the current password, new password and to confirm the new password on the same page. The problem is, when I click on the login using the browser extension (Chrome), all three fields are filled in. This causes major problems if I have auto-submit switched on (as you can imagine) so I have to switch this off first (which I don't always remember to do and often just leave it off which means I don't benefit from the feature). I assume (correct me if I am wrong) this issue is caused by the website developer not giving the fields clear IDs. So currently my workflow is thus:

1. Activate browser extension
  2. Turn auto-submit off
  3. Fill login
  4. Delete contents of new password field (click field, highlight contents then press delete on keyboard twice)
  5. Delete contents of confirm new password field (click field, highlight contents then press delete on keyboard twice)
  6. Activate browser extension again
  7. Generate and fill new password

(More steps if I forget step 2).

My idea to solve this problem is twofold:

1. Add some sort of indication showing what 1Password thinks each of the fields on the page are for (the fact that you can make the fields jiggle when filled suggests this is possible?) and the ability to correct this if it is wrong by clicking on the field.

2. Add button in the password generator that will both fill the current password and fill the generated password (which always fills in the correct fields) and not submit even if auto-submit is on.

New workflow:

1. Activate browser extension
  2. Correct wrong field identification (skip if correct)
  3. Fill current and generated password

e.g.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @collide007‌

Thanks so much for providing such detailed feedback here! This sounds like a pretty cool enhancement, and I've passed your thoughts along to our developers. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @collide007,

An alternative to disabling autosubmit before filling on a "change password page" is copying the current password from 1Password mini and pasting it into the corresponding field, as described and shown in this guide:

Updating your site's password

I like your idea of combining the filling of current and generated password fields together. :)

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Great idea!

additionally "new password" + "current password" inputs can be automatically detected mostly by a tiny keyword list / regexp

especially in the demo above!

Same issue:
    when creating new logins and choose the "login" (Email oder Name or??)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @theElvis,

Thanks for your interest in @collide007's idea. :)

Same issue: when creating new logins and choose the "login" (Email oder Name or??)

Is that an issue you're having with Password Generator when creating new logins and do you have a specific example?

This discussion has been closed.