1Password did not accept the correct Master-Password

Options
mfoh
mfoh
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

hello everybody,

i have a huge problem and need your help,please:

i use 1Password on different devices (mac,ios, win) with dropbox. since i reinstalled 1Password on my new pc i can not open it anymore (even not on the other devices). it says the MP is wrong. i never changed the master-password so iam pretty sure it is the right one. even if i take an old backup it wont accept my MP.

Is there anyone who can help or knows what went wrong? thank you in advance!

btw. nice eastern ;)

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Did your master password use any accented characters? If so try typing that password without accents on the characters and see if that works.

Stephen

• mfoh
    mfoh
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

No, there are no accents in my master password. Just letters, numbers and special charakter without a space.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @mfoh,

Is the master password not accepted on all your devices, or just on your new Windows PC?

• mfoh
    mfoh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @JasperP,

It is not possible to open 1Password on any device.

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Try to fill your master password in a text edit , see that it's the correct password , then copy it to 1P and see what happens .
    Don't forget to close the text edit without saving.

• mfoh
    mfoh
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ronen,

i have already tried it this way, with no success. And as i mentioned it before, i am pretty sure that i use the correct master password. How could that be possible? :(

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

How many times you added Master Passwords ?
    Could it be an "old" one / not the last one you think it is ?

• mfoh
    mfoh
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

as i said it before: i never changed my master password (i use 1password since february). even if i recover the first backup, which was done immediately after creating the safe, i don´t get access with my mp.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mfoh,

I'm so sorry to hear you've been having trouble with your Master Password lately. For your privacy and security, your master password is known only by you. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the master password. If there were, that would be a security hole that criminals could exploit to steal your information.

If you think you know what the password is, but it is not being accepted, please try some of these tips.

• If you have accents such as è, î and so on, try replacing it with the regular character such as e for è and see if that’ll get you in.
    • Try leaving the caps lock on and/or off. You can also try copying and pasting your master password in a text editor. Make sure it’s an editor that doesn’t sync to the cloud automatically (you wouldn’t want to expose your password in clear view). Copy the password and then paste into the master password field in 1Password.
    • If you entered the password hint for this data file, 1Password will show it automatically in a prompt after every three incorrect attempts. Confirm it’s the right hint that you entered because if not, you may be looking at a different data file.

Please try each tip, for we have found them to be the most common causes of this problem. If you cannot remember the password, you will need to restore from a backup or start over. You can do a restore from File > Restore, or you can start over using this link.

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/start-over.html

If you've really never stored anything in your 1Password data file then starting over is really easy -- but you'll want to make sure and provide a good "password hint" so you don't forget the master password again.

This discussion has been closed.