Delete MAS Version 4.1.2?

Options
Lurkingbf
Lurkingbf
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

I purchased 1Password on the Mac App Store. I have just now migrated over to the Webstore version (4.2.2) so that I won't have to wait forever to get the most recent application updates. I followed the data migration procedure, and everything is working great.

Can I now delete the MAS version in order to avoid confusion? Is it safe to do this? If so, what is the process to follow so that I won't accidentally delete anything that the webstore version (4.2.2) also needs?

Thanks.

Comments

• Lurkingbf
    Lurkingbf
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Edit title.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, you can delete the MAS version. See this knowledge base article on how to do it. Don't use an app cleaner app when you delete the MAS version. They have a nasty habit of sweeping away your critical 1P data.

Stephen

• Lurkingbf
    Lurkingbf
    Community Member
    Options

This was the document I followed to complete the initial migration process, but it isn't specifically stated therein that it's OK to simply delete the MAS application and application support directory without causing any issues with licensing.

I will give it a try.

Thanks.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is no specific "licence" for the Mac App Store version. With the AgileBits store version you do get a licence.

Stephen

• racerx1
    racerx1
    Community Member
    Options

How does one migrate from MAS to AgileBits Store version?

I opted for the MAS version when AgileBits introduced 1P4 (reduced upgrade pricing incentive). At the time, it seemed like AgileBits were 'coaxing' people to switch to MAS, but now that no longer seems the case. Feels like the MAS users are being left behind...

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is a procedure for the technical side but as to licensing I'm afraid you'll have to wait for someone from AgileBits to respond.

The Mac app store version is not in fact so far behind as may appear from the version numbering. There's a separate numbering regime for MAS versions to differentiate them from non MAS versions. Sadly, I can't remember how it works!

Stephen

• ralphdaily
    ralphdaily
    Community Member
    Options

I reverted to the Webstore version and am much happier. It was easy since I use Dropbox sync. I deleted the MAS app but how do I get rid of the bits and pieces of the MAS app remaining?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The only thing I'd do without guidance from someone more expert than me would be to drag the MAS version to trash (if not done already)...and without using any app cleaner (because they always seem keen to delete critical data as well).

Stephen

• racerx1
    racerx1
    Community Member
    Options

Would like to get the BETA version for the new HeartBleed feature. Doubt that will be available in MAS anytime soon and when it is -- too late! :(

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lurkingbf‌ and @ralphdaily‌

Just to confirm what Stephen has already said, when switching from the MAS version to the webstore version, the only deleting that you should be doing is properly closing 1Password and the Mini and moving the 1Password 4 app to the trash can. We don't suggest using an app cleaner as these can be overzealous and remove files that you actually need ... as well, the Mac App Store version has been dutifully saving backups for you since you first installed it. We don't want to delete those files until the webstore version has had a good opportunity to save a proper backup database for you as well. :)

Hi @racerx1‌

You're welcome to download the beta version and help us test out some new features! Simply head over to our downloads page and select the 'Download beta' option. Please ensure that you follow the instructions that @Stephen_C‌ linked to above to Migrate from the MAS to web store version so that you do not have any conflicts or complications.

This discussion has been closed.