Start over with 1Password for iOS

Options
Jallen
Jallen
Community Member

I've attempted to reinstall 1Password following the steps in the KB article "I forgot my master password", but do not get the Welcome Tour. I could not delete date from the app on the iPhone because I don't have the master password. the Settings.app on the iPhone does not show 1Password data, so I can't delete from there.

How can I start fresh with 1Password for iOS?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

Press and hold the 1Password app icon until it wiggles at that point press the "X" in the corner to delete it.

Just to be remind folks * This will remove all user data once this is done there is no way to recover it. So if you remember your password after doing this all the data will be gone. There is no going back.

Then reinstall the app from iTunes or the App Store.

• Jallen
    Jallen
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your response. I attempted to reinstall several times, flailing about. Since your message these are the steps I've taken:
    1. Remove from iPhone
    2. Turn off iPhone
    3. Delete from iTunes ( Move to trash)
    4. Exit Tunes.
    5. Open iTunes.
    6. Download in iTunes.
    7. Connect iPhone with USB to Mac.
    8. App tab in iTunes.
    9. Click Install button for 1Password in iTunes.
    10. Sync iPhone.
    11. Use Settings.app (Documents & Data) to insure that 1Password does not use iCloud.
    12. Open 1Password on iPhone.
    13. Checking Dropbox text in 1Password screen
    14. Master Password dialogue box.
    15. Enter current Master Password for current !Password 4 on Mac.
    16. Password Hint is that for an old password. See previous Discussion thread (New master password not working).

The old password was from an attempt to change the master password that failed. I recovered by restoring a backup. While the password failed on the desktop, 1Password for iOS responded to the previous password. It seems that the two apps have looked at different keychains.

• Hi Jallen,

I am sorry about the trouble with the re-install. We hope to release a major 1Password update in a couple of days, hopefully it will make it easier to start over.

• Jallen
    Jallen
    Community Member
    Options

I am confused.

I have an agilkeychain in Dropbox which I thought was synced. But when I look under Preferences that is not indicated. When I attempted to Sync to Dropbox in Preferences it asks for the Master Password with the hint for the problem password not the password I've used since restoring from a backup.

How do I get back in sync?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jallen,

I apologize for the confusion here! It sounds like you may have multiple keychains stored in Dropbox. Do you have multiple vaults enabled?

• Jallen
    Jallen
    Community Member
    Options

I haven't intentionally enabled multiple vaults. The title bar in the app window does not show a vault icon. How would I check that?

• Jallen
    Jallen
    Community Member
    Options

I've installed the 1Password 4.3. The attempt to sync finds different date in the primary vault and the dropbox. ( I thought the dropbox was the primary.)
    I've attached a screen shot of the sync attempt. Can I delete the dropbox file and recreate it? What exact steps to I take?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jallen,

If the database on your Mac is the most up-to-date and accurate copy of your data, then yes, we can remove that file from Dropbox. (If you're unsure, moving it to your desktop is a good temporary measure.) Follow these steps to reset sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

• Jallen
    Jallen
    Community Member
    Options

I have not been able to open 1Password for iOS ( it asks for the problem master password.) On the Mac, Preferences > Sync displays iCloud, Dropbox, and Folder. So I cannot use the remove data checkbox. Can start with bullet point 5, remove the 1Password folder from Dropbox and then continue with bullet points 6, 7, and 8?

• billryan
    billryan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi I have an iMac, an iPad and an iPhone. 1 Password was syncing perfectly. Now it doesn't sync. I have it set to sync on dropbox, iCloud and wifi. Should it only sync one particular way? How do I get my syncing working again? I have updated on all devices and still doesn't sync across them.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jallen,

Thanks for updating me here. Sounds like starting in the middle is a good idea. First, re-start your devices to be sure everything has a fresh start, then continue on with the instructions. Please let me know how this works!

Hi @billryan‌

With the release of 1Password 4.5 for iOS, only a single sync solution can be enabled at a time. Please select the solution that is best for you and enable only that solution.

The instructions for setting up Dropbox are here: http://www.manula.com/manuals/agilebits/1password-4-for-ios/4/en/topic/sync-with-dropbox

And the instructions for iCloud are here: http://www.manula.com/manuals/agilebits/1password-4-for-ios/4/en/topic/sync-with-icloud

I hope this gets you all sorted out, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• carriea
    carriea
    Community Member
    Options

I have the updated 1Password4 on my MacBook Air, but 1 Password Pro on my iPad, and nothing showing up for my iPhone?? Do I really need to purchase it again for my iPad and iPhone? I wanted to sync via Cloud, since all are Mac, but my iPad only shows Dropbox and Wi-Fi available. Additionally, both it and my MacBook want me to enter the other's "secret code?" Please advise....not having it show up on my iPhone is extremely bizarre.

• carriea
    carriea
    Community Member
    Options

I have now found it on my iPhone....but same problem with my iPad. Both are the older 1Password Pro? Can't sync with the 1Password4 on my Mac. Also in each case they have two "secret codes" to be entered in 1Password4, while it has one to be entered in them. In each case their is no other option. I would prefer not to use Dropbox....

• Jallen
    Jallen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I followed your instruction and am now back in business.

Thank you so much.

• carriea
    carriea
    Community Member
    Options

Do I have to purchase a different versions of 1Password to sync with the 1Password4 I purchased for my Mac?? I thought it should be able to sync via my iTunes, Cloud, etc that already syncs everything with my iPad and iPhone?? Why can't my 1Password Pro just "upgrade" like it did on my MacBook?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jallen,

Thanks so much for letting me know you're all sorted out! We're here if you have any further questions. :)

Hi @carriea‌,

I'm so sorry you're having trouble getting synced up here. Unfortunately, to keep 1Password 3 for iOS in sync with your Mac, you will need to use Wi-Fi sync with 1Password 3 for Mac. iCloud sync is a new feature that has been introduced in 1Password 4 for iOS, it was not an option in 1Password Pro. If the iOS devices you own are capable of running iOS6+, the best option really is to upgrade to 1Password 4 for iOS. You can find it in the iOS App Store, and it is currently on sale!

If you would prefer to keep using 1Password 3 for iOS, here's what we'll do:

I hope this helps, but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

This discussion has been closed.