Just a random question about encryption on android

StinkyPants
StinkyPants
Community Member

I was messing around on my Note and I noticed that Samsung doesn't encrypt the whole device like Apple i.e. no hardware encryption. Does this make it a harder device to make encryption software for?

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @StinkyPants‌!

The short answer is "not really", but the longer answer is longer.

1Password, even on iOS, does not rely on iOS security for your data security. In particular, we are doing our own encryption and acting "as if" the operating system didn't encrypt most data itself. So from a development point of you there is no difference for us. We have to build our encryption in both cases.

There is, however, a side effect of Apple's built-in data protection. To get this to work they needed to build in AES processing into the hardware. They needed the ability to encrypt and decrypt data blocks quickly and without draining battery. So they built a technology for doing that on iOS and that is used when we call certain cryptographic routines from the CommonCrypto library. What this means is that on Android we need to be a bit more sensitive to performance and power issues than we would ordinarily have to be on iOS.

• StinkyPants
    StinkyPants
    Community Member

@jpgoldberg‌ Very interesting thank you for the reply.

This discussion has been closed.