Misc. thoughts about the new 1pw 4.5 for iOS

Options
steven1
steven1
Community Member

-I really liked the older glossy interface…buttons were easier to click, etc. I may be in the minority, but the overly flat look makes it just-another-ios-app not my fav app that I start with on the device. Just my $0.02.

-Really miss the spinning gears on syncing

-default setting is to not lock the vault?? really? I thought this was a security app :-) At least I can change it.

-save master pw in iOS keychain? It is features such as this (as well as default lookup of rich icons) that really irk me. For an app that caters to the security conscious, this is not the best behaviour. I mean, if I trusted ios/iCloud with my master pw and encrypted vault, I would just use iOS iCloud keychain :-) Is that the message you are sending?

Thanks

Comments

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with what you said. Add to that the huge misstep of not testing thoroughly where sync settings were not carried over, as well as things like clear clipboard being reset.

At a minimum, if it's required to re-setup things, they have to prompt the user on first, second, etc run of the app to set these things up.

Version 4.2 on the Mac never made it to the MAS because of issues.....it seems that either they are understaffed or over taxed.

-Kevin

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

hi @steven1‌

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts here.

-Really miss the spinning gears on syncing

Our developers are working on the 'Sync' icon - you should see an update soon that has this spinning when sync occurs. I think it's a lovely little feature too :)

-default setting is to not lock the vault??

Did your lock settings change when you upgraded?

-save master pw in iOS keychain?

I'd like to explain about about the new PIN code in 1Password 4.5 for iOS and why the option to store the Master Password in the iOS keychain is available.

In earlier versions of 1Password 4 for iOS, the lock settings were dependent on 1Password remaining open in the background. When the iOS would quit the app to reclaim memory resources, users would be prompted for their Master Password upon re-opening, regardless what their auto-lock settings were.

By providing the option to store your Master Password in the iOS keychain, we are able to respect users' PIN code settings, even if the iOS closes 1Password in the background.

To ensure that users are aware of this new behavior, the PIN code is not automatically enabled for users who have migrated from an earlier version and will need to be manually enabled.

Please note that we recommend only using this feature only if you have enabled a device passcode on iOS.

As a security feature, if you mistype the PIN code once it will clear the iOS keychain and require the Master Password to be typed to access your database.

If you do not wish to store your Master Password in the iOS keychain, you can disable 'use the iOS keychain' in Settings > Advanced. This will allow you to access 1Password using the PIN code until the iOS closes the app in the background, after which point your Master Password will again be required.

Hi @netnothing‌

I sincerely apologize that this process was not automatic. My developers are working to improve the migration process so that it is more user-friendly! Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

This discussion has been closed.