multiple users + sharing only some passwords

Options
graemeblake
graemeblake
Community Member
edited October 2015 in Mac

I am outsourcing some tasks to an assistant. They will need to access some of my sites. I have sites in a couple of categories:

1. Non-important: various web services, free accounts, etc.
  2. Vital: online banking, gmail, etc.

I'd like to be able to share access to sites in the first category. Is there a way to do this?

My workaround solution would be to get lastpass, and user one password manager for sensitive sites, and another for trivial sites. But categorizing and sharing within 1password would be my preferred solution.

Edit: Looks like shared vaults is what I'm looking for. Can I have some items that sync between two vaults, or move some of my items over automatically and access them from both vaults.

I read this guide, but it didn't say: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/Tutorials/share-vault.html

I have about 300 passwords I'd like to move to my assistant's vault. I'd like to also have them in my vault so I can access them, and sync them between vaults. Is this possible?

Comments

• AlaskaDave
    edited April 2014
    Options

Exact same question. When copied so you have in both vaults will a change to a password carry over into both accounts or only the one that you're in/have open. I created a log-in and made a copy of the log-in to the other fault. Changing in one fault does not seem to effect the copy in the other vault... what use is this? They would soon become out of sync with one another.

• FreemanD
    FreemanD
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @graemeblake‌, @AlaskaDave‌ and @FreemanD‌

Thanks for the question! You're right, Multiple Vaults is the solution that you are looking for here. In fact, here are the instructions on how to share a non-primary vault

Can I have some items that sync between two vaults, or move some of my items over automatically and access them from both vaults.

Unfortunately, due to the way that vaults are encrypted, it is not possible to sync items between vaults. Items should live in one vault or the other. 1Password makes it easy to switch between vaults when your primary vault has been unlocked. Simply use the keyboard shortcut Command 1-9 to move between vaults.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• graemeblake
    graemeblake
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. So is this the correct workflow, if I want to make sure I only have one up to date copy of a login:

1. Create new vault
    2. Share desired password to new vault
    3. Delete password from main vault (to ensure I don't have two copies that go out of sync)
    4. Access sensitive passwords from main vault, switch to shared vault for the non-sensitive passwords, using a hotkey.

Correct?

• Meek
    Options

Hi @graemeblake,

Thanks for the clarification! Yes, that is exactly the correct workflow :)

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

• HunterBoss
    HunterBoss
    Community Member
    Options

Wow. The exact topic on my same situation. So, Agile, any hope this is on a future feature list?

Also, if Vaults don't sync, how does my assistant get the information? And if I change a password in 1Password, I have to manually change it in the vault as well. Right?

thanks

Christopher

• Meek
    Options

Hi @HunterBoss,

I'm sorry for the confusion! Secondary vaults do indeed sync through Dropbox! If you and your assistant share a vault through Dropbox, and passwords added or changed in this Secondary vault will be automatically synced between the two of you.

If the items stored in your Secondary vault are only in that vault, then you don't need to change them anywhere else. Simply switch to the secondary vault (1Password > Switch to Vault > Vault Name) and change it there.

I hope that helps make things more clear! If you have any other questions, please let us know!

This discussion has been closed.