Doubtful newbie (but I want to be a convert!)

Options
Stephanie Ng
Stephanie Ng
Community Member

Hi there

(BIG disclaimer - I am not a techie person as will soon become apparent!)

I previously had my own personal method of making up and remembering passwords which wasn't the most secure and when told about 1Password, thought I'd found password/log-in nirvana!

So have just downloaded 1Password4 for my macair only and have installed the Chrome extension, and saved my log-ins. I currently have approximately 60 log-ins saved.

I have looked at the Support docs, and searched the discussions and my questions are a fair bit more basic as I'm trying to get my head around what this can/can't do.

1. 1Password doesn't appear to support non-browser programmes? I.e. Evernote, Dropbox, Skype - so I still need to remember these passwords? (though I can of course save them in a note in 1Password). From this post http://blog.agilebits.com/2012/08/19/more-than-just-one-password-lessons-from-an-epic-hack, it seems I should still remember certain passwords.

2. When generating new passwords for log-ins, these "strong" passwords are obviously difficult to remember - does 1Password save it down anywhere? I.e. should I ever need to manually log into a site, can I just cut and paste the password from 1password into the site log-in page, where the password is always "hidden" i.e. I can't actually see the *$&#(#FDJSFKD password combination. I had trouble with my apple id, as I had to enter it in several places on my iphone/ipad etc and in the end, I just made up one that was easy to remember.

3. I haven't looked at installing for my iphone/ipad yet - how does 1password work with apps?

Apologies in advance for some of these very basic and conceptual questions! I would be very grateful for any helpful responses/clarifications.

Many thanks
Steph

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I'll give you some preliminary answers. Others will no doubt chime in with fuller ones!

1. 1P4 works with non-browser programmes. You just use it slightly differently. When you open 1P Mini (option + command +\) you can highlight one of your saved items, let the details display and click on the anchor key (bottom right) to pin that item to your desktop. That makes it easy to copy and paste passwords into items like Skype, etc.

2. I think what I've mentioned in 1 will help you. You can also login directly from items displayed in 1P Mini or the main 1P app (known as auto fill, or go and fill). Login items work like that.

3. If you want 1P4 on your phone you need to buy 1P4 for iOS. It's a separate app but it will work with 1P4 on your Mac (i.e., you can synchronise the two). The way in which the iOS version works with other apps on iOS is limited because of Apple's rules, but 1P4 on iOS has its own built-in browser which helps a lot.

Please do post back if anything is unclear. This was posted in some haste so some things may well not be as clear as they might be!

Stephen

• Meek
    Options

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for your questions and for your support of 1Password :)

I think @Stephen_C did a great job of covering your questions (thank you! :) ). The only thing I wanted to add regarding question 3 is that due to the sandboxing of apps on iOS, Apple does not provide developers with a way to directly interface with other apps in this way, unless the app has included support for 1Password explicitly. Currently to log into other apps such as the Facebook native app, you would need to copy and paste from the 1Password app. 1Password makes this easy as you can simply tap on the username or password to copy it. 1Password will then clear out the clipboard within a given time period to ensure that your important information does not stay in the clipboard after you no longer have a need for it.

If you have any more questions, we would be more than happy to help.

• Stephanie Ng
    Stephanie Ng
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both Stephen and Meek - much appreciated! Will have a further play around w 1Password now!

• Meek
    Options

Hi Stephanie,

You are most welcome. Let us know if you have any other questions!

This discussion has been closed.