Options
2»

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Options

@Alfonso Bongiorno‌: Great to hear that it helped you import your eWallet data. And thanks so much for reporting your eWallet version, since that gives more credence to my belief that versions prior to 7.4 will work. I don't think the eWallet export format nor basic ewallet card types have changed in a long time.

@Tangible‌: I thought about splitting the cards into two, but thought this might be best left to users. I could perhaps provide an option to automatically do it. As for that error, I see why it could be caused, but am uncertain about something (and this was my worry about converting date types). You seem to have a credit card that has some date information, but your format doesn't seem to match what I'm expecting. Can you look at your expires dates in the eWallet export file and search for the lines that start with "Expires: ". I'm expecting them to be in the format of mm/dd/yy, so I'm interested in any that are not in this format. My version of eWallet does not allow entry of anything but that format - and it has a horrible UI for date entry).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Great, thanks so much. I've updated the script to handle mm/yy dates, as well as map to the notes field anything that doesn't look like mm/yy or mm/dd/yy. Give it a run of you care to.

If I live to 2096, I'll buy you or your heirs a Coke.

• mmartino
    mmartino
    Community Member
    Options

MrC - Thank you for your hard work on this script! Unfortunately, I need an assist because when I attempt to convert my eWallet file I get this result "Imported 0 cards." I have confirmed that the eWallet export file contains records. I am using eWallet for Windows version 7.6.4.34150. I am trying to run your script in Mac OS X (ver 10.9.3). I'm guessing there is something simple I am missing here, but I'm not off to a good start... Any thoughts? Thanks again!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi mmartino,

Let me test out that the Windows exported eWallet will work on the Mac. I won't be able to get to that until tomorrow though. Hang tight...

• mmartino
    mmartino
    Community Member
    Options

Ah! Hadn't even thought of that...I just assumed the export from eWallet was the same regardless of which OS you were running eWallet in. You've already done all of the leg work so the least I could do was test this theory. No surprise here, but your hunch was spot on. I installed eWallet for Mac OS, saved the wallet as a text file, ran the script again, and viola...it worked. Thanks again for your hard work on this. I hope someone at AgileBits is planning on sending you a little something for the effort. You just earned them another customer because of the ability to convert eWallet data.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Perfect, thanks for doing the legwork for me. I'll still probably see what the differences are (I have a hunch already), and believe it can make it work cross-platform.

Thanks for the kind words.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I've posted an update that corrects a problem with some credit card expiry dates.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I've posted another update which sets each items Created time to 1/1/2000 to help trigger WatchTower checks. This can be defeated with the --nowatchtower option. See the last Note in the Read Me file.

• nothingtx
    nothingtx
    Community Member
    Options

Please Help.

Desktop>perl ewallet_to_1p4.pl -v ..\ewallet_export.txt
    Can't open ..\ewallet_export.txt: No such file or directory at
    ewallet_to_1p4.pl line 274 (#1)
    (S inplace) The implicit opening of a file through use of the <>
    filehandle, either implicitly under the -n or -p command-line
    switches, or explicitly, failed for the indicated reason. Usually
    this is because you don't have read permission for a file which
    you named on the command line.

(F) You tried to call perl with the -e switch, but /dev/null (or
    your operating system's equivalent) could not be opened.

Use of uninitialized value $_ in substitution (s///) at ewallet_to_1p4.pl line
    277 (#2)
    (W uninitialized) An undefined value was used as if it were already
    defined. It was interpreted as a "" or a 0, but maybe it was a mistake.
    To suppress this warning assign a defined value to your variables.

To help you figure out what was undefined, perl will try to tell you
    the name of the variable (if any) that was undefined.  In some cases
    it cannot do this, so it also tells you what operation you used the
    undefined value in.  Note, however, that perl optimizes your program
    anid the operation displayed in the warning may not necessarily appear
    literally in your program.  For example, "that $foo" is usually
    optimized into "that " . $foo, and the warning will refer to the
    concatenation (.) operator, even though there is no . in
    your program.

Imported 0 cards

Thanks.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Options

Ni nothingtx,

Please check the name of the export file you created by exporting your eWallet entries. The instructions assume you've created it on your Desktop, and that you changed directories in Command Shell to the ewallet_to_1p4 directory.

• nothingtx
    nothingtx
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks that was what was happening on the desktop and move it all to c: > and ready work.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Great!

• falconeye
    falconeye
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I contacted agilebits support if they recommend your script. It may make me a new customer (now on eWallet). They really should buy the script from you and support it for migrating customers.

I tried to run the script, but it fails:

Perl v5.14.0 required--this is only v5.12.4

If I change the use clause to 5.12, I get a missing JSON error. I am on OSX 10.8.5.

Somebody made the proposal to support folders. I have many categories in eWallet, so some support for mapping to folders would be great.

THNXS, Falk

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thanks for the info falconeye. Sorry about the troubles w/OS X 10.8.5, which has an older Perl that doesn't include JSON::PP.

I've just made a couple of changes to the script that should allow it to run under 5.12, so long as you use the your own JSON::PP module. The updated script is available in the testing folder in my AgileBits Utilities folder:

Download this zip file, which contains the updated script, and also the required CPAN module JSON::PP. Feel free to diff the original script and this update if you want to see the changes (minor changes to explicitly cast to hash a hash reference).

Change the

use v5.14;

to

use v5.12;

as you did earlier (I don't want to make this change permanent since I've not tested the script robustly under Perl 5.12).

FYI: the JSON::PP module is available here: http://search.cpan.org/~makamaka/JSON-PP-2.27203/lib/JSON/PP.pm in case you want to compare the original with the version here. See the Download link at the right of the page.

I ran a conversion using the existing script and this update and the update worked correctly, and both produced the same import data.

eWallet categories are mapped into 1P4 Tags (it is not possible to map into Folders).

• Cartoon
    Cartoon
    Community Member
    Options

Just downloaded 1Password and joined this group. Thank you for your time in putting this script together. I am doing my best to follow the instructions. But I keep getting caught with this: "'perl' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". I have no experience with Perl so maybe I'm out of my league here. I have the export file on the Desktop and the ewallet_to_1p4 folder on the desktop. And I did install Perl from your link. If this is more complicated than I think then I won't bother to pursue this. But if it's a simple fix I'd love to make use of the script.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi Cartoon. Sorry for your troubles.

Although there just a few steps involved, I think you can do it. From your description, it sounds like you're on Windows (since you downloaded and installed ActivePerl). It is possible you didn't allow the ActivePerl installer to alter your PATH. In that case, instead of just entering the command:

perl ewallet_to_1p4.pl -v ..\ewallet_export.txt

enter the full path to perl, as in one of (depending upon 32- vs 64-bit):

C:\perl\bin\perl.exe ewallet_to_1p4.pl -v ..\ewallet_export.txt

or

C:\perl64\bin\perl.exe ewallet_to_1p4.pl -v ..\ewallet_export.txt

Also note, if you installed ActivePerl in the non-default location, or on some other drive, you'll need to adjust the path to perl in the above command.

I'll PM you my email address so that we may continue w/any issues.

MrC

• Cartoon
    Cartoon
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Mrc. I had some problems in not reading the instructions carefully. Where the instructions tell you to extract all, for some reason I moved one of those folders to another folder, which was wrong. Also, I failed to allow the path-so in CMD prompt I had to give the full path name. So the short story is: read the instructions carefully. Once I had the PIF file then it was easy to import into 1Passord. It would have taken me several days to move all my passwords from eWallet to 1Password so this was a big time saver for me.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

It was great to see your screenshot showing that you were able to convert all your entries. Nice work.

Regards,
    MrC

• ronss
    ronss
    Community Member
    Options

Hello MrC:
    I am anxious to convert from ewallet to 1password, and have attempted to use your conversion utility without any success. Specifically, using your suggestion from Aug 21st to enter the full path, I get the following error message:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Ronald S. Siegel>cd desktop\ewallet_to_1p4

C:\Users\Ronald S. Siegel\Desktop\ewallet_to_1p4>perl ewallet_to_pf.pl -v ..\ewa
    llet_export.txt
    'perl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Ronald S. Siegel\Desktop\ewallet_to_1p4>c:\perl64\bin\perl.exe ewallet_
    to_1p4.pl -v ..\ewallet_export.txt
    overload arg '..' is invalid at c:/Perl64/lib/Math/BigInt.pm line 153 (#1)
    (W overload) The overload pragma was passed an argument it did not
    recognize. Did you mistype an operator?

Can't open ..\ewallet_export.txt: No such file or directory at
    ewallet_to_1p4.pl line 274 (#2)
    (S inplace) The implicit opening of a file through use of the <>
    filehandle, either implicitly under the -n or -p command-line
    switches, or explicitly, failed for the indicated reason. Usually
    this is because you don't have read permission for a file which
    you named on the command line.

(F) You tried to call perl with the -e switch, but /dev/null (or
    your operating system's equivalent) could not be opened.

Use of uninitialized value $_ in substitution (s///) at ewallet_to_1p4.pl line
    277 (#3)
    (W uninitialized) An undefined value was used as if it were already
    defined. It was interpreted as a "" or a 0, but maybe it was a mistake.
    To suppress this warning assign a defined value to your variables.

To help you figure out what was undefined, perl will try to tell you
    the name of the variable (if any) that was undefined.  In some cases
    it cannot do this, so it also tells you what operation you used the
    undefined value in.  Note, however, that perl optimizes your program
    anid the operation displayed in the warning may not necessarily appear
    literally in your program.  For example, "that $foo" is usually
    optimized into "that " . $foo, and the warning will refer to the
    concatenation (.) operator, even though there is no . in
    your program.

Imported 0 cards

C:\Users\Ronald S. Siegel\Desktop\ewallet_to_1p4>c:\perl64\bin\perl.exe ewallet_
    to_1p4.pl -v..\ewallet_export.txt
    overload arg '..' is invalid at c:/Perl64/lib/Math/BigInt.pm line 153 (#1)
    (W overload) The overload pragma was passed an argument it did not
    recognize. Did you mistype an operator?

*** Unknown option: v..\ewallet_export.txt

Usage: ewallet_to_1p4.pl
    options:
    --debug | -d # enable debug output
    --format | -f pif | csv # output format: pif (default) o
    r csv
    --help | -h # output help and usage text
    --outfile | -o <converted.csv> # use file named converted.csv a
    s the output file
    --type | -t # comma separated list of one or
    more types from list below
    --verbose | -v # output operations more verbose
    ly
    --[no]watchtower | -w # set each card's creation date
    to trigger WatchTower checks (default: on)

supported types:
        - for csv: login creditcard software note
        - for pif: login creditcard software note socialsecurity passport email

bankacct membership

Stopped

C:\Users\Ronald S. Siegel\Desktop\ewallet_to_1p4>

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that my version of ewallet is version 8.0.0.34383 (the latest version), and not version 7 that you appear to reference in many of your posts.

Can you interpret what's going on and how I might fix it? I have over 300 different entries, and while I could theoretically create them anew in 1password, I'm hoping to avoid recreating the wheel again.

Thank you so much for any help/advice/assistance that you can provide.

ronss (ron@siegelpc.com)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi ronss,

Sorry for your troubles. I see at least a couple of problems with the above commands lines, but these were probably due to copying the command window's output in chunks and pasting it into the forums (there are missing or extra spaces between portions of the command line). But in one case, there was an issue:

c:\perl64\bin\perl.exe ewallet_ to_1p4.pl -v..\ewallet_export.txt 

is missing a space between the -v and the export file argument.

I think the problem is that your exported wallet program's name may not be what you think it is. See [this post)[https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/143533/#Comment_143533} for instructions on how to use the command shell's filename completion to your advantage to be sure.

Can you also verify for me what version of perl you are using? One of the error messages above is peculiar to me.

c:\perl64\bin\perl.exe -v

And also the version of Windows 7 or 8, 32 or 64 bit.

I don't believe there would have been changes in the wallet export format - it hasn't changed in years, and all of the errors above indicate that the exported wallet file itself is not being found.

I'd like to suggest for you that you use the new version of the converter program / ewallet module. It supports all of eWallet's card types. I've uploaded the zip file to my _testing folder in my AgileBits Utilities folder. The file you want is convert_to_1p4.zip. Download, extract and run using similar instructions as to what is in the current ReadMe file (this zip doesn't yet contain the updated documentation).

The script runs like this:

c:\perl64\bin\perl.exe  convert_to_1p4.pl  ewallet  -v   ..\ewallet_export.txt

Example:

C:\Users\MrC\Desktop\convert_to_1p4>perl convert_to_1p4.pl ewallet -v ..\ewallet_export.txt
    Imported 31 cards (12 cards expanded to 24 cards)
    Exported 1 socialsecurity item
    Exported 1 bankacct item
    Exported 12 note items
    Exported 18 login items
    Exported 1 email item
    Exported 1 software item
    Exported 1 creditcard item
    Exported 5 membership items
    Exported 1 server item
    Exported 1 passport item
    Exported 1 driverslicense item
    Exported 43 total items

Note that it is the script's first argument (ewallet) that tells the script what converter module to use. It will create a 1P4_import.1pif file for you on the Desktop, which you import into 1Password. I suggest you make a Backup first of your 1Password database (File > Backup). If you are importing into an existing vault, you might want to create a test vault and see how the data is added to that vault. You can move those items into the main vault when you are satisfied.

Feel free to email me directly at the email at the top of the script, and we can work through your issues offline if necessary.

• ronss
    ronss
    Community Member
    Options

MrC:

My operating system is Windows 7 64 bit.

I'll try to use the new version and run the script as you suggest. I'll report back. Thanks.

• ronss
    ronss
    Community Member
    Options

Also: the version of perl that I am using is ActivePerl-5.18.2.1802-MSWin32-x64-298023.msi

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options

Ah, as per the ReadMe, use version 5.16. ActiveState's 5.18 does not have all the modules, and some changes to the script are required to accommodate changes in Perl. This explains the odd error message that I've never seen.

• ronss
    ronss
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

OK, just followed your suggestions, and here is what I get:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Ronald S. Siegel>cd desktop\ewallet_to_1p4

C:\Users\Ronald S. Siegel\Desktop\ewallet_to_1p4>c:\perl64\bin\perl.exe convert_
    to_1p4.pl ewallet -v ..\ewallet_export.txt
    Unable to open file: ..\ewallet_export.txt
    No such file or directory

C:\Users\Ronald S. Siegel\Desktop\ewallet_to_1p4>c:\perl64\bin\perl.exe convert_
    to_1p4.pl ewallet -v ..\ron.txt
    Unable to open file: ..\ron.txt

C:\Users\Ronald S. Siegel\Desktop\ewallet_to_1p4>c:\perl64\bin\perl ewallet_to_1
    p4.pl -v ..\ron.txt
    Can't open perl script "ewallet_to_1p4.pl": No such file or directory

to_1p4.pl ewallet -v ..\ron.txt
    Unable to open file: ..\ron.txt

C:\Users\Ronald S. Siegel\Desktop\ewallet_to_1p4>c:\users\Ronald S. Siegel\deskt
    op\convert_to_1p4>perl convert_to_1p4.pl ewallet -v ..\ron.txt
    'c:\users\Ronald' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

to_1p4.pl ewallet -v ..|My Wallet Export.txt
    'My' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

to_1p4.pl ewallet -v ..\My Wallet Export.txt
    Missing export_text_file name - specify the file to convert
    Usage: convert_to_1p4.pl

converters:
    clipperz ewallet handysafe keepass2 keepassx keychain msecure
    options:

--debug           | -d                  # enable debug output
    --exptypes        | -e <type list>      # comma separated list of one or mor

e export types from list below
    --help | -h # output help and usage text
    --imptypes | -i # comma separated list of one or mor
    e import types from list below
    --outfile | -o # use file named outfile.1pif as the
    output file
    --verbose | -v # output operations more verbosely
    --[no]watchtower | -w # set each card's creation date to t
    rigger WatchTower checks (default: on)

supported import types:
        - bankacct callingcard carinfo cellphone clothes combolock contact conta

ctlens creditcard driverslicense email emergency general health idcard insurance
    internet lens librarycard membership note passport password prescription serial
    num socialsecurity software voicemail votercard website
    supported export types:
    - bankacct creditcard driverslicense email login membership note passpor
    t server socialsecurity software

C:\Users\Ronald S. Siegel\Desktop\ewallet_to_1p4>

I'm now at a point that I don't understand what needs to be done. Can you help? You kindly suggested that I email you directly at the email at the top of the script, but I cannot find the email address. Mine is [redacted] if you would be so kind as to email me, I would then have an email address to reply to.

Thank you again for your time and efforts.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi ronss,

My email as at the top of the new script (convert_to_1p4). I've sent you an email, and have redacted your email above to prevent spammers from grabbing it.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options

For when you return on Monday ronss, this video might help you.

This discussion has been closed.