Problems with Dropbox Sync in 1Password 4.5

Options
privateinvestor
privateinvestor
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

I was hopeful after seeing an updated version on 1PW4 for IOS yesterday. What is 1PW for (to me)? It is to have your passwords cross-platform with you wherever you are so you only need to remember 1PW. I was sold when I bought the software years ago. Since then I have purchased it for other computers, recommended it to others, etc. I am very frustrated now. I bought the software twice across version 3 and 4. I had been having DropBox synch issues for a while now (since v4). I just reconfigured everything on my Ipad, my Iphone, and my Mac (PC not turned on right now) to synch with DB. All settings appear correct. Result?...none of the devices are synching. In the last few months the gear icon spun continuously and no synch. Now...wahoo gear icon does not spin anymore. Unfortunately it did nothing to help the synching problems. What am I doing wrong here?

Comments

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know what you are doing wrong, but one way to see what is happening is to log in at dropbox.com and look at your keychain via your web browser using 1password.html (aka 1PasswordAnywhere). You ought to be able to figure out which devices are and are not syncing with that Dropbox login by comparing recently-added or recently-changed items.

I sometimes run into a problem where the copy of 1Password on my iPhone starts to sync with one of my secondary Dropbox accounts. How did I figure this out? By logging into the secondary account on dropbox.com and examining my keychain there!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @privateinvestor,

I sincerely apologize that you are having trouble syncing with 1Password right now. Please follow our guide here: http://www.manula.com/manuals/agilebits/1password-4-for-ios/4/en/topic/sync-with-dropbox to set up Dropbox sync. Let me know where in the process you are running into trouble and I'd be happy to walk you through!

• privateinvestor
    privateinvestor
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,

The guide did not help as I had it working before and had everything set-up fine. I did however, eventually determine the problem on my own. When I started getting synching issues the last time (last 2 months) I moved the keychain to a subfolder so that instead of the keychain file being located at dropbox/keychain it was dropbox/another folder/another folder/keychain. I still had the original keychain file (2 months old) in the default location recommended by Agilebits (i.e. Dropbox/keychain). I first deleted the apps off of the IPad and IPhone because they will not let you reselect a vault in the synch set-up process (i.e. you cannot just disable synch and then re-enable as it skips the step of asking you which vault to synch). I then created a new folder called Temp Holding Folder for Old 1PW and moved the old keychain present in the default location into that folder. I now had Dropbox/Temp Holding Folder for Old 1PW/keychain (old). I then moved the most current keychain file from dropbox/another folder/another folder/keychain to the default location (i.e. Dropbox/keychain (most current)). Then I reinstalled the apps and re-configured synch to Dropbox. Both devices allowed me to select the vault now. Both synched fine. Then I tested by creating new bank accounts in the Ipad and Iphone apps. They appeared on all devices within a minute. Then I deleted from Mac. They deleted from all devices in a minute. Thus, I would send the guide AND ask them to go through my procedure of deleting the apps on the mobile devices and then move the keychain file to the default location and re-enable and re-configure synch.

• privateinvestor
    privateinvestor
    Community Member
    Options

This thread can now be closed.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @privateinvestor,

Thanks for letting me know that you're all sorted out! I really appreciate you including your steps here, that's quite helpful.

If you run into any further snags, don't hesitate to start a new thread, we'd be happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.