Some comments - custom field ids/types

Options
rctneil
rctneil
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Mac

Hey,

Just wanted to post a couple of comments from my first few days of using 1Password:

1. I would like a way to be able to add web fields to logins manually rather than them only being created when adding a new login to 1Password via the browser. I used to use this functionality a lot in LastPass. I could open up a login and manually add fields. I realise this functionality may be for users that more understand how things work but I see that 1Password has the ability to store web fields for a bunch of different types and the only part missing is the ability to click a "+" and add each line manually.

I'm a web developer so this would be very very useful. Just specify the name/id of the input, value you want entering and the type of input and voila. LastPass can do it, so why not 1Password?

2. I added an identity item today for a fictional "Joe Bloggs". This was done so I could easily use it to fill in a form I was developing on a site over and over again to test functionality. It filled the majority of fields but not all of them. It failed to fill in a textarea field with an address and I added a custom field with the label of "title", gave it a value and it failed to find the input on the page with the id AND name of "title" therefore didn't fill it in.

This all worked from LastPass so could this be fixed here? I hated LastPass's interface which is why I am moving to 1Password.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
Neil

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

Thanks for all the feedback!

I would like a way to be able to add web fields to logins manually rather than them only being created when adding a new login to 1Password via the browser.

We do hope to add this functionality in the future, but I can't make any promises as to when. However, there is a workaround to add fields to the web form details.

It filled the majority of fields but not all of them.

The extension attempts to fill as many fields as possible, but it's very difficult since every website is different.

If you're developing a website and would like 1Password to fill correctly, here is an example form where 1Password 4 will successfully fill all fields: http://i.agilebits.com/jasper/form_filling_example.html

I added a custom field with the label of "title", gave it a value and it failed to find the input on the page.

1Password won't auto-fill custom fields from Identity items. It only fills the data from the default template fields in Identities. The 1Password extension needs to know how to map your data correctly to the field names on the site, which can differ on each site and there is no mapping established for the custom fields you add.

Technically, what you can do is save the data manually as a Login item. That'll give 1Password the mapping data it needs to associate certain data to certain fields. Lots of users do this for daily contests, and such.

• François Lavigne
    François Lavigne
    Community Member
    Options

Please make it possible to make custom mappings. I work on a lot on sites in french, and when I use an identity it puts the last name in the first name field (name="prenom"). I added a custom field named "prenom" in my identity thinking it would fix it, but it didn't. Please make it so that if a label in an identity is the exact same thing as the name of an input it fills it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi François,

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts here! I'm sorry that Identity Fill isn't working too well for you on French sites. Are there a few examples that you could pass along to our team? It would give us a must better idea of where things get tangled up. :)

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

I think the main thing we are both getting at is if a custom field has the same "HTML name or ID" as an input on a page then it should fill it. If this cannot be done then atleast give us the ability to add custom fields ourselves from within the editor which allow us to enter a text based "HTML name/ID", a field type, text, radio, select, textarea, etc and to provide the value we want it to be filled in with.

Providing this would give users full control of what is filled in and what is not filled in on different websites.

For example, when I was using LastPass, I had a great profile set up for signing into my online banking account. The bank had a two page sign in procedure. I set up a single login profile and added two custom fields, "name" and "online banking number", the second page then asked for a further number so I added a third custom field with that number in it. The second page also asked me to enter two random digits from a longer password. This bit I did manually each time. Then I would be signed in.

So each time I wanted to sign in, I would go to the first sign in page, run the LastPass form filler (it filled in the first two fields and submitted), second page, I would again run the same profile from the form filler (it fills in the further number), I manually figure out and enter the two random letters/numbers and click the submit button. Super easy, 1 profile in LastPass used with custom fields.

Please 1Password, allow us to add custom fields and types for logins.

Oh and whilst you're at it, Servers should be able to work as Logins too. They have login info in them. Please do not make me duplicate it into a Login item as well. It seems silly to have to do that. I HATE duplicated data.

Neil

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Neil ( @rctneil ),

Thanks so much for the feedback! I do apologize if my earlier comment was unclear. I've certainly heard and understood the request for custom mappings. I was just hoping to improve the internationalization of our existing fields with a few real world examples.

In any case, you're not the first ones to suggest a bit more flexibility with form fields, and I've added your thoughts to the existing request in our issue tracker.

internal reference number: OPM-429

This discussion has been closed.