1Password for iOS has forgotten all my log ins yet thinks there are millions of items

Options
Sheepeh
Sheepeh
Community Member

I purchased both the Mac and iOS 1Passwords from the store last night and imported a CSV from LastPass in to the Mac version. I've added a few new passwords to the Mac version and synced them to iOS before heading to bed last night.

Upon arriving to work this morning, the iOS app (which previously did have logins in, because I played with it) now shows as the attached screenshots.

This is obviously a bit of a problem as I've set up for WiFi syncing and I'm now not at the machine with the 'working' database on and won't be back there until Monday.

Can anyone advise as to what happened, and if there's any way to regain access without needing to be at my iMac?

Obviously it's not a good first impression if the app can just 'forget' everything!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I just experienced the Millions of items issue too. Not using WiFi sync but iCloud.

A few days ago I, after the 4.3/4.5 updates and subsequent synch troubles, I reset the whole iCloud sync (erasing cloud data, reinstalling iOS apps, …). Everything seemed to be OK since then, but today I made some changes on the Mac and I opened 1PW on my iOS devices to see if the sync was successful.

On the iPad everything fine, but 1PW on the iPhone told me something along the lines can not sync, no valid source found. The vault was apparently completely empty. I opened the sync settings and it showed me a ridiculously high number of Items. Because of this I rejected the offer to merge with iCloud data and tapped Erase Data in the advanced settings. The fresh iCloud sync is working – so far.

Needless to say that I’ve lost a bit of confidence that my data will be on the iPhone when I need them.

• thisishuey
    thisishuey
    Community Member
    Options

I also signed up for 1Password last night, decided to finally get a handle on my password management. Tried a few others and landed on 1Password and got it all setup and was working flawlessly last night. Set it up to sync via Dropbox.

Then this morning, I added my bank account info, went to test the iOS functionality to make sure it wasn't going to be too much hassle and was greeted with "Error: 1Password will no longer sync because no sync source was found for profile". When I try to manually setup syncing again I notice that I have a large number of items and every time I try to link up the Dropbox Vault I get that same error.

What gives? I thought I had found a great password manager. This with the 1PasswordAnywhere issue on Dropbox that showed up recently (maybe related?) makes me feel a little iffy about the service!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Then this morning, I added my bank account info

This is interesting. In my case (see above) it was also bank accounts that I was adding.1

Coincidence?

1. More precisely: Added 2 bank accounts, changed 1 bank account, deleted 1 Login item ↩︎

• thisishuey
    thisishuey
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm... interesting... Possibly, but that seems like a weird bug, I have 2 accounts with the same bank, I added 1 account then upgraded the password to a generated one from 1Password, logged in and it seemed fine. Added the second account, generated password, logged out and back in and also worked fine. I just went to try and log into the first account again and the password in 1Password had changed so it would not let me log in. The current password didn't use my current generation recipes. I was able to pull from my previous passwords and it worked fine.

I went ahead and deleted the 2 bank keychains and still same issue. I then went ahead and re-setup the accounts as new and re-setup the sync to dropbox, still the same issue.

• thisishuey
    thisishuey
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, so I fixed it by uninstalling 1Password on the iPhone and reinstalling it from the store and running through the setup. Before I uninstalled it looked like there were quite a few changes that I made last night that didn't sync up with regards to categories (I was sorting everything into it's own folder and then realized that that was going to be a pita to manage). So it looks like I didn't try syncing anything up last night after that change on the phone, I don't know if the file somehow got corrupted in there. But it looks like the reinstall fixed everything for now. I am going to keep an eye on it and if it happens frequently then I guess I will be going with my second runner up.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Basically after the 4.3/4.5 update I had two “waves” of sync issues:

1. Some days ago, after the update, changed records didn’t sync to any iOS device. However, IIRC, some records did sync. Apparently this or something similar happened to many people. I could solve it too with a reinstall on iOS, deletion of cloud data, fresh sync.
    2. Today the new thing with no source found and the 9.223.372.036.854.775.807 items, on the iPhone only, after adding the bank accounts on the Mac.
  • thisishuey
    thisishuey
    Community Member
    Options

How long have you been using 1Password? Just out of curiosity, like if I just picked the wrong time to jump into it I get that but if you are a long time user and this is pretty much how it goes then I'm going to go back to researching the others.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I started with a short period of 1PW 3 (or 2?), then I switched to LastPass for quite some time (mainly because I needed cross-platform sync), since december 2013 I’m using 1PW 4 with iCloud sync.

Fortunately I didn’t experience any sync issues with 1PW 4, until now. Or, at least I didn’t notice any sync issues ;-)

LastPass is always a (very) good alternative, in case 1PW’s sync problems become something permanent. At the moment I’m patient, because I think it’s not trivial for a developer to make iCloud sync work properly …

And I like it that they do work on a good iCloud sync. There are many developers who tell you “iCloud doesn’t work for my kind of data, so shut up and be happy with Dropbox” (which isn’t glitch-less either).

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sheepeh‌

I sincerely apologize for the trouble you've been having here. If your database is complete on your Mac, try reinstalling the iOS app. To start fresh, please try:

• Tap & hold on the 1Password icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

This should get things behaving correctly for you!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mot,

I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble you've had getting synced up here. Let's try resetting sync to see if that gets things behaving correctly for you:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and tap 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thisishuey‌

Thanks so much for deciding to give 1Password a try ... I really wish that your first experience with us had been a lot smoother now! I sincerely apologize that we were not able to get to you in time to be of any use - but I'm so glad to hear that you managed to get things sorted out by reinstalling the app.

Please do let us know here if you notice anything weird going on again - we'd be happy to help! ;)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Thanks @Megan. I’ve already done these steps (well, without system restart and only waiting 3 minutes instead of 20) and currently everything is still fine, see here.

But if problems reoccure I will apply your more thorough procedure.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mot,

My apologies, I was looking at your later post where you listed your issues and assumed that the issues were currently bothering you.

I'm thrilled that it's all sorted - please do let us know if you hit any further snags!

• thisishuey
    thisishuey
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I've had to reinstall the iOS every day since I set this up because I keep getting the same issue as stated above. Doesn't appear to be anything related to adding logins. Looks like it might be related to adding 1Password to new devices, it seems like every time I install 1Password on a new device the iOS app doesn't want to sync after that. I've had to reinstall the iOS app 3 times so far. After I reinstall it, everything seems to be ok.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thisishuey‌

You certainly shouldn't have to reinstall the iOS app on a daily basis! If you'd like us to investigate this further, please send us a Diagnostics Report for your main computer:

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Sheepeh
    Sheepeh
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I managed to use BackToMyMac over a 3G connection using my iPhone and transfer a copy of my iMac's database to my MacBook Pro, then used that to sync back to my iPhone. All seems to be OK after that, and I've not noticed any problems since.

Hopefully it stays that way!

• MrRooni
    Options

Glad to hear it @Sheepeh‌, do let us know if you need additional help.

• thisishuey
    thisishuey
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I've removed 1Password from all my mobile devices except my phone and I haven't had the issue again. I may try again in the future, but for now I'm ok with this solution, I haven't had to reinstall it lately. Thanks for the responses though!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thisishuey‌

I'm glad to hear that the issue seems to have stopped on your iPhone at least. If you run into any further snags (or if you run into this issue again), we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.