Auto-submit into an app's login form?

Options
victrolux
victrolux
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

Is there a way to auto-submit passwords in an app? Meaning: if I am logging into an online account via an APP rather than via a web browser, can I still use 1PW to enter my login information in the app? I am not talking about copying and pasting passwords into an app's form; I am talking about auto-submit while in the app.
Thanks

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

No, there isn't a way to have 1Password auto fill and submit passwords in applications. It only will do that for web sites. Cut and paste is your option for doing what you want.

I am hazy on the full reasons for this, but it has been discussed here before, I seem to remember that a good bit of the problem is that there is no standard way that applications accept credentials, so it isn't practical to program them. Also, specific to iOS, Apple's sandboxing rule preclude applications from direct interaction with one another, unless the application developer and 1Password have agreed to allow that. There is a small handful of such applications, but no very many.

For the same reasons, you probably have discovered that you can auto fill and submit directly to web pages through mobile Safari. You have to use 1Password's built in browser (1Browser) to automate credential submission to web forms.

• victrolux
    victrolux
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks hawk. I appreciate your explanation. I'm still getting used to when I have to jump back-and-forth from 1Password other applications... as well as when to use 1Browser. I've even found some apps that don't allow pasting into the password form.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I've found a few web sites the don't allow pasting into the password field too. If they do that and also prevent 1Password from automatically submitting credentials, we're going to be in big trouble. I don't remember where the discussion was, but I have learned from the AgileBits folks that auto fill and submit from 1Password isn't the same as cut and paste.

This discussion has been closed.