1PW Mac stops synching with iCloud

Options
Valentin
Valentin
Community Member

In the past 12 hours I have encountered twice the situation that after logging into my computer 1PW notifies me of "1Password Sync Problem detected, update preferences". The issue is that 1PW preferences no longer show any setting for sync. When I try to re-activate sync with iCloud then I receive again the same notification. In essence, it looses all access to iCloud.

The first time this issue occurred was after yesterday's update to version 4.3.

My solution is currently to restart the computer, delete 1PW from my iOS devices, manually delete the copy of the 1PW database on iCloud, restart 1PW on the computer, restart iCloud sync and re-install 1PW on all iOS devices.

I would appreciate your input on what I can do to solve the issue.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Valentin,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with 1Password here. You shouldn't need to be resetting iCloud multiple times to get it to work. Let's take a closer look here. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Valentin
    Valentin
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan … I have sent the diagnostics report as requested.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Currently the issue has not come back. Before the issue occurred, I had changed address book entries related to my own account and there were two different iCloud addresses connected to my account. I have brought it back to only one iCloud address. You know that the way OS X 10.7 consolidates addresses is very different from iOS 6 and 7. Perhaps that played a role. To me it seemed that 1PW couldn't access anymore the iCloud.

Best regards

Valentin

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @Valentin,

I'm glad to hear that you are no longer seeing this issue. I've taken a quick peek at the Diagnostic Report you've sent in, and everything seems fine there as well (except for a pesky little 1Password 3 extension hanging around on Firefox, which is easily uninstalled.)

If this issue re-appears, don't hesitate to let us know and we'll investigate further! :)

• Pengman
    Pengman
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having problems. Updated a password on iMac that does not show up on iPad or iPhone

• Valentin
    Valentin
    Community Member
    Options

@Pengman … I think your issue is unrelated. iCloud synchronization works flawlessly for me. My issue was that one of the three devices couldn't access at all iCloud. In other words, the issue was not that some changes didn't propagate to other devices but that one device gave me a clear error message that the iCloud connection was gone. Anyways, this has been solved.

I used to think that some changes don't come through. But I can assure you that if all your devices use the same iCloud ID then it will work. This is the beauty of iCloud. The nasty side of iCloud is that iCloud synchronization sometimes takes time depending on battery level and what do I know. More is on this link: http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Sync/ios-icloud-magic.html.

iCloud sync works. Good luck.

V.

• Valentin
    Valentin
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan … The problem has reoccured. I resend the diagnostics report, this time right after the error occurred. I added a few screen shots. Please let me know if you can solve it, else please send instructions on how to remove preferences and user files, etc. from my user so that I can start off a fresh sheet of paper.

Best regards

Valentin.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Valentin,

I'm sorry to hear that the issue has reoccured, but I see that one of our support team is already helping you via email. We'll continue to work directly via email so that we don't create any confusion or duplicate efforts between here and there. You're in good hands.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Pengman,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password right now! There are a few things I'd like to check out first:

• Please ensure that you are logged in with the same iCloud account on all computers and devices.
    • Please ensure that Documents and Data is enabled on all computers and devices.

If this is the case and you're still seeing some data discrepancies, let's reset sync to get things back into gear:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and tap 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

• laughlin
    laughlin
    Community Member
    Options

Hopefully this solution helps you Valentin, it helped me.

On your Mac

Open 1Password
    Preference -> Sync -> Change Syncing
    Check the box that says Delete data from iCloud, and click Disable Sync button. Accept the warning that states that it will delete your data.
    Quit 1 Password.

Open System Preferences
    iCloud -> Uncheck Documents & Data -> Click Delete from Mac button

(You may have to restart in between these steps. I did, but am not sure if that is what helped it)

On your iOS devices, now is a good time to go to the iCloud settings -> Documents & Data -> Click the Toggle Switch at the top of the screen, and confirm by clicking Turn Off Documents. Restart Your Devices

In the Finder Menu Bar click Go.
    Select Go to Folder -> Enter ~/Library/ and click Go
    Look for the Mobile Documents folder that now has what looks like a file extension at the end of it. Should look like Mobile Documents.92994182
    Drag this folder to the trash.

Open System Preferences
    iCloud -> Re check Documents & Data

This will cause iCloud to re-sync your iCloud folder locally to your Mac.

iOS Devices:

Your devices should have restarted by now.

Go into Settings, Documents & Data and Toggle the Switch back to On.

Open 1Password and follow the setup screen as an existing user, and 1Password will find existing data in iCloud.

I have written about this and included screenshots on my site.

• Valentin
    Valentin
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan, thank you again. I will try both options, the one of @laughlin and the one from your jedi team. I am not worried, because I understand that this is a unique situation and that I have a time consuming work-around for now and my data is safe in the backups. Thank you. Keep up the good work. I like 1Password despite my current issue.

• Valentin
    Valentin
    Community Member
    Options

@laughlin, thank you for extensive answer. I understand how your approach will work and I will try. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Nice website you have there.

V.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Valentin,

Thanks so much for your kind words and your patience! Please let us know how things turn out - we're here if you have any further questions, of course!

• laughlin
    laughlin
    Community Member
    Options

@Valentin‌ I hope that you were able to fix your issues, and thank you for your compliment on my site!

• NatalieDM
    NatalieDM
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Megan. I also had the synching issue and your protocol worked perfectly.

• Frankwilliamson
    Frankwilliamson
    Community Member
    Options

laughlin and Megan. I'm new to 1PW and am unable to iCloud Sync (getting help on another thread but it's slow. The closest thing I can find while waiting appears to be laughlin's solution. But when I attempt to follow laughlin's advice - "Open 1Password Preference -> Sync -> Change Syncing Check the box that says Delete data from iCloud, and click Disable Sync button," - I don't see the same screen. When I click on Sync there is no "Change Syncing" option. Only a list of the three methods, iCloud, DropBox, and Folder. If I click on iCloud, nothing happens. What do I need to do to see the "Change Syncing" option? TIA

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Frankwilliamson‌

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting sync set up! If you're only seeing the 3 sync options, then you're not quite set up with sync yet.

Here are the instructions for how to set up iCloud sync on your iOS device.

Please note that you need to be logged in with the same iCloud account on all devices, and Documents and Data needs to be enabled everywhere as well. I hope this helps get you all sorted, but we'd be happy to help if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.