1PW iOS trying to create new repository on Dropbox, when it's already there

Options
sknaffla
sknaffla
Community Member

I use 1PW everywhere Mac, iPad, iPhone.

After last iOS update I noticed that my iPhone was not syncing.
I tried to re-set up dropbox on my iPhone, and it is asking to create
a new repository in "/Apps/1Password/".

The Mac one put it at the top level on drop box (ie at root "/"

Is solution to move and repoint to where the iOS client wants it ?

I did not see any option to point to a different directory on iOS.

Is that my only route ??

~Knaf

Comments

• MerleOne
    MerleOne
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here !

• sknaffla
    sknaffla
    Community Member
    Options

I also opened a ticket with support. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow, I am just going to try moving it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sknaffla‌ and @MerleOne,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble getting synced up here! It sounds like 1Password is not finding your existing data. Do you by chance have a uniquely named primary keychain? At this point, your primary vault needs to be named 1Password.agilekeychain for 1Password 4 for iOS to find it during initial set-up.

Please let me know if this is not the case for you, and we'll investigate further!

• sknaffla
    sknaffla
    Community Member
    Options

All default. Seems to be related to 1PW iOS update.

• sknaffla
    sknaffla
    Community Member
    Options

The iOS app is looking in different Dropbox default dir than what the Mac app default is.
    The iOS app does not allow you to point to the default MacOS dir.

Seems like the 1PW teams are not communicating.

~Knaf

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sknaffla‌

Let's try resetting sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

• sknaffla
    sknaffla
    Community Member
    Options

Syncing was disabled with 1PW iOS app update. I will complete your steps when I am home this evening in front of my laptop. Traveling light with only iOS devices today.

• sknaffla
    sknaffla
    Community Member
    Options

It does see the sync now. The 1PW MacOS App now puts data in [DropBox Home]/1Password instead of at the top level of dropbox. The iOS app does see it now.

I created a new entry on MacOS and it's replicated to iOS.
    However I added a note to a MacOS entry, and the note is not replicated to iOS. The entry is still there, but the note is not updated. Thoughts ?

Also it brought back a bunch of entries that I had deleted on corrected on MacOS, but was not sync'ing so it all just came back from iOS. Ugh !

~Knaf

• sknaffla
    sknaffla
    Community Member
    Options

ok - I think am to all good now. Restored Mac 1PW from backup. deleted data on iOS devices. Gave Dropbox 15 min to sync. Went back on iOS, and re-enabled sync'ing. Looks good again.

I have been using 1PW for a couple years, and my vault is whatever the default was a couple years ago for directory with dropbox. I think you have since updated the default, and your latest 1PW iOS update broke that old default compatibility.

really just needed to move 1PW repository from your update.

~Knaf

• Kristian
    Kristian
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I have the same problem and I have never touched the keychain directory name! My keychain is created by the 1Password for Windows app and is named: "PwData.agilekeychain". How can I rename this directory savely so that the iOS app finds this directory again?

• sknaffla
    sknaffla
    Community Member
    Options

@Kristian‌ The end result of all my work was my 1PW keychain moved from dropbox top level, down to /1Password.
    It would seem that just doing that move in Dropbox and pointing to it from your MacOS and iOS, that would be quicker than what I did.

~Knaf

• Kristian
    Kristian
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thank you. I have renamed the PwData.agilekeychain directory to 1Password/1Password.agilekeychain and I have edited the location in the .ws.agile.1Password.settings file. Now it seems, that everything is working again.

• Glad you're up and running!

• MerleOne
    MerleOne
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,
    Thanks for your reply. I am afraid I don't fully understand what you mean by ".... Do you by chance have a uniquely named primary keychain? …"
    Please let me know if this is not the case for you, and we'll investigate further!"

I do have a keychain on my Dropbox files, used on both MacBook, Windows PC and iPhone IOS named "JF Dropbox.agilekeychain", just under my home (or root) Dropbox folder. If I change this name, I have to make the switch on the PC which use it, no problem I guess, on the Macbook, no problem either, I just fear it will cause trouble on my iPhone where this is vital that it keeps working. Currently it doesn't work "only" with my iPod Touch 4G and my iPad mini 1G. On these devices I use iCloud as Sync Cloud, On PC I use Dropbox and I use both on the iPhone. So it's kind of a workaround but I would prefer to have just one database on one cloud.
    Thanks !

• stsanford
    stsanford
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I, too am having difficulty. If I change the name of the main vault, I can get it to connect from the iPhone, however I don't want my 1Password vault to be named 1Password.agilekeychain since I have multiple vaults, and would like to be able to tell them apart at a glance. Is this something that is going to be changed?
    Thanks,
    Scott

• sknaffla
    sknaffla
    Community Member
    Options

It changing the path in Dropbox, you do not need to change the file or vault name itself.

• @MerleOne‌ To clarify Megan's statement, she was asking if you have an .agilekeychain file that is not named 1Password.agilekeychain, which you do. In order to get that file syncing with 1Password on your iPhone you will need to setup syncing again. Please use the steps Megan listed above to do so, but make sure you quit 1Password for Windows before you do.

Once you've completed resetting your sync setup and Dropbox on your Windows machine has downloaded the new 1Password.agilekeychain file you can reopen 1Password for Windows. It should prompt you to locate a vault to open, but if it does not you can simply choose another vault from the File menu.

• stsanford
    stsanford
    Community Member
    Options

Wait, actually I'm even more confused! @MrRooni - I thought that you said that the Master Vault had to be named 1Password.agilekeychain in order to be opened on iOS. Can we now have it named something different?

My situation is that my wife and I use a shared folder in Dropbox so that we can access each other's passwords. If I need to have MY 1Password file named 1Password.agilekeychain and she needs hers named the same, it's going to make it a bit confusing although I guess we could have a 1Password folder then a subfolder for each of our password files in there...

• MrRooni
    Options

Sorry for the confusion @stsanford‌, the keychains do need to be named 1Password.agilekeychain. You are correct in that you could use a subfolder organization style to separate them. That is a workaround to the current limitations.

This discussion has been closed.