Command Backslash No Longer Working [moved to email]

Options
Will Price
Will Price
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

For years I have used Command-\ to activate login entry on whatever web page I was on. For instance, if I go to say facebook.com, I hit Cmd-\ and then presto my login is filled in. To me, that is the most important feature and behavior of 1password.

Since a week or two ago with a new version update, this no longer works. Now, hitting Cmd-\ will activate the menu in the main menu bar which has nothing in it because it has no idea which web page I am on. Cmd-\ used to activate the appropriate 1password browser integration (in my case, usually Chrome) and because it knows what web page I'm on, it can enter the appropriate password. I would like to restore that important behavior. I have of course already performed all basic diagnostics such as restarting many times, and this also happened over at least a couple of quick flurry maintenance releases so that effectively means I also reinstalled 1password. I also installed the browser extension over and over in hopes of fixing, but no luck there either.

This is happening on two separate Mavericks systems that both used to work fine. Is there a resolution to this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hi Will,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble with 1Password! Lets figure out whats going on.

While it is true that 1Password 4 now opens 1Password Mini in your menubar rather than the browser extension when using the keyboard shortcut, it should still be able to determine which website you are on - as long as your browser is in the foreground.

If it is not doing this properly, then it sounds like something else is going on. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :grinning:

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Will Price
    Will Price
    Community Member
    Options

I have just submitted the diagnostic.

I have noticed what is likely to be a new crucial piece of evidence in this investigation. If I mouse-click on the 1password icon in the system menu bar, the behavior is always correct. If I Command-Slash, the behavior is often such that no logins are listed. But not always. Sometimes Command-Slash does work and show several logins for a given site there. But for the same exact site, sometimes it will not show any logins. Using the mouse to click the menu does show logins even moments later and I can go back and forth between mouse and Command-Slash and it will show logins then not show logins each time when the problem is occurring which is most of the time.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi Will,

Thanks for the additional information and sending the report. I see you've already been working with Eva to resolve this problem with the Fill Login on current web page keyboard shortcut (Command-\ default) and the Chrome extension. Is it just Command-\ you've been using or have you changed it to Command-/ (mentioned in your last post)?

• Will Price
    Will Price
    Community Member
    Options

Right, yes I only mean Command-\ not Command-Slash. I haven't changed anything from defaults on that front.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got it, Will. :)

Thanks for your patience while we continue troubleshooting this until it's resolved.

• Will Price
    Will Price
    Community Member
    Options

Here is the bug:

I had 3 Amazon logins.

1. URL of http://www.amazon.com and set to Never Display.
    2. URL of https://amazon.com and set to Always Display.
    3. Irrelevant.

In that state, Cmd-\ never worked for Amazon. Number 2 was never displayed, the list was always empty.

If #1 was changed to Always Display, only #1 would be shown, and #2 would be bundled into a "2 additional items" entry. Undesirable, and I never want to show or use #1.

The workaround for the bug is to set #1 to Always Display and then change the URL for #2 to "www.amazon.com". At least that is an acceptable workaround for now. In summary, "Never Display" blocks other items for the same URL even if they are set to Always Display.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Will,

Thanks for that additional information. I've replied to your email you also sent with it. To simplify things, I'm going to close this discussion and we can keep it going through email.

This discussion has been closed.