Syncing nightmares

Options
abernardi
abernardi
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

OK - about to explode here...

What am I doing wrong??? Please forgive me if this has been answered, but I can't seem to find it.
I have 1Password 4 running on 2 Macs
1Password 3 running on 1 Mac
1Password 3 running on 2 Windows
1Password 4 on 2 iOS (iphone and ipad)
I'm syncing thru Dropbox

Because of the Heartbleed bug I started changing many passwords and noticed not all my other systems were updating. I went into the dropbox and noticed I had one agilekeychain in a 1Password folder (as it should be) and one agilekeychain by itself in the dropbox folder. I figured the safest thing to do was disable sync on everything, delete the keychains in dropbox and then create a new folder/keychain via 1password in dropbox using my main Mac.
The first problem I ran into was that 1Password 3 doesn't let you turn off the sync, it only lets you change locations. I didn't want to fool with that, so I went ahead and disabled the sync in my 2 macs running 1Password 4 and deleted the folder/keychain in the dropbox.
So far, so good. I created the new keychain. On my Mac running 1Password 3, I think it came up with a warning that the keychain wasn't there any more... not sure... but anyway, I redirected it to the new keychain and all went well. On the other Mac running 1Password 4, it said it needed to merge files. This didn't feel right, but I clicked ok and if I remember correctly, it basically reverted back to it's former state which was not reflecting my latest changes.
So here's where I messed up: On that Mac I deleted all the logins, figuring it would sync as if it were a fresh install. Obviously, now in hindsight, that was stupid and when I directed it to the keychain, it proceeded to delete all the logins on the other systems. OK, my bad. I went back to my main Mac, restored from the last backup, all's good. Went back to this problem Mac running 1Password 4, and pointed it again to the keychain and it deleted all the logins AGAIN!
If anyone is following this, will you please tell me what to do? I haven't even attempted to go into my windows or ios 1password yet.

THANKS

Comments

• CypherUK
    CypherUK
    Community Member
    Options

I've just had a similar problem. JasperP pointed me to clearing out dropbox in this thread - http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/23650/sync-problems-using-dropbox#latest

I had firstly followed as Jasper had suggested, but I also ended up removing 1Password off my iPhone, iPad and all but one of my Macs. I again rebooted my devices and then created a new vault in dropbox using the system I'd left 1 password installed on.

Finally I reinstalled the app on all my devices and resynced them with dropbox and they are all now back in sync and appear to be working correctly again.

• abernardi
    abernardi
    Community Member
    Options

Sheesh! I'll try it Cypher, thanks!

• abernardi
    abernardi
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I think I may be starting to understand what is happening and it's probably been mentioned somewhere else here, but I think it may be how 1Password is interacting with dropbox. When I add or change something in 1Password, it writes that to the agilekeychain in my local dropbox folder, which then triggers it to sync with my dropbox folder in the cloud. Now as the syncing is going on, my other computer sees there's a change in dropbox and starts syncing the local dropbox folder to the cloud dropbox folder. I suspect that these things get crossed up; that the agilekeychain has not completely been synced in the cloud before it's coming down to the other Mac. I would think that dropbox would wait to sync with the other local dropboxes until a file is completely written, but maybe it thinks it's completely written when it actually isn't. Obviously I'm not a programmer, but is this possible?

• abernardi
    abernardi
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Oh, and I think I've solved one part of the problem so far. My two macs running 1Password 4 are now in sync. This is probably ass backwards, but what I did was

1 - Pause sync to dropbox in the dropbox menu on both macs.

2 - Disabled sync with dropbox thru 1Password on both macs and quit 1Password.

3 - Deleted the 1Password folder with the agilekeychain inside from my local dropbox folder on both Macs.

4 - Opened 1Password on the primary Mac and restored the data from the latest backup.

5 - Resumed sync to dropbox in the dropbox menu on the primary Mac.

6 - Enabled the sync to dropbox in 1Password on the primary Mac and waited for the checkmark to indicate it was finished.

7 - On the other Mac I renamed the 1Password 4 folder in the Application Support folder to clear out the data without actually deleting it just in case.

8 - Started up 1Password on the other Mac which created a new 1Password 4 folder in the Application Support folder and then quit again.

9 - Here's the goofy thing: I copied the backup folder from my primary Mac into the new 1Password 4 folder in the Application Support folder on the other Mac.

10 - I started up 1Password on the other Mac, restored the data from the new backup folder I just made and enabled sync with dropbox.

11 - I resumed sync to dropbox in the dropbox menu on the other Mac. It still said it had to merge the two vaults and came up with a dialogue showing the two vaults, not really sure what that was about, but only gave me the option to cancel or OK, so I clicked OK and boom... all's good so far.

I'm positive this was overkill, but my guess is this will fix it and from now on I will be disabling dropbox sync in the dropbox menu as a default and only sync it manually when necessary.

Comments?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @abernardi‌

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we experienced a surge in support requests recently. We're doing the best we can to get back to our usual speedy replies as soon as possible.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having so much trouble getting things synced up. Generally, the steps that we would advise here are the steps that @CypherUK‌ linked to above. Did those steps not work for you?

This discussion has been closed.