Sync with SpiderOak

Options
2»

Comments

• kabojnk
    kabojnk
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to bump here as well for SpiderOak on iOS. There are a lot of us who love 1password but do not trust Dropbox with the whole PRISM thing as of late. And there are certain things we don't want synced on iCloud... so far, syncing with SpiderOak on OSX and Windows has been great for us all, but having it implemented in the mobile app would really make life a lot easier :)

Also, just wanted to say thanks to all you guys at AgileBits! You make superb software and I recommend 1password to everybody whenever talking about password security.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

@michaelalx and @kabojunk, your votes have been collected.

Keep in mind that Wi-Fi sync is available for those who wants to move away from any cloud services. 1Password 5 for iOS and Mac now support attachments and soon, multiple vaults as well.

Also, just wanted to say thanks to all you guys at AgileBits! You make superb software and I recommend 1password to everybody whenever talking about password security.

Thanks for the comment, we really love hearing these from you guys.

ref: OPI-1266

• lightwalker
    lightwalker
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to add my vote for spideroak and 1 password sync (os x and iOS). Love one password, not happy with dropbox policy and Apple have not been trustworthy in the past.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You vote for SpiderOak sync support has also been collected, @lightwalker -- thanks! :)

• Happy1PassUser
    Happy1PassUser
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for Spideroak + 1password sync (osx and iOS and Android). Love your product... just wished dropbox was more secure.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your SpiderOak sync vote and 1Password love, @Happy1PassUser. :)

As @Megan previously mentioned in post #4:

In general though, I just wanted to assure you that no matter which sync solution you use, the security of your database does not depend on the security of the sync service. With 1Password, your entire data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. If you'd like, you can read all about the design of the 1Password keychain. :)

• 3xp0n3nt
    3xp0n3nt
    Community Member
    Options

I would also love SpiderOak support.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @3xp0n3nt. I've tallied your love-vote for SpiderOak support. :)

• mantzm
    mantzm
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with the other's +1 for SpiderOak

• beefsquatch
    beefsquatch
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like to see SpiderOak sync support. I have two macs and an android device. I'm looking to switch completely away from Dropbox. Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Thanks for your interest in SpiderOak sync support, @mantzm and @beefsquatch. Both your votes have been recorded. :)

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

Please record my vote as well!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've recorded your vote, @Niklas -- thanks!

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

I just found out that by asking nicely SpiderOak will offer a cheaper plan with less space than the default. I'm willing to take the plunge and leave Dropbox now… May I ask how far away you are from going forward with this? Nothing exact needed, but some indication would be nice, such as "there are over two dozen other things of greater importance". I promise won't be mad if there are five dozen things you have prioritised above SpiderOak, but some status would be awesome!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Niklas,

It turns out that @MikeT did fairly recent research on SpiderOak and found:

SpiderOak is awesome and it is a bit more secure than others for a specific reason, it is closed down tighter and sharing or syncing is separated from the actual encrypted data. For that reason alone, 1Password can't use SpiderOak, SpiderOak doesn't offer a third party APIs that can sync with your SpiderOak data (sharing data yes, but not the actual data), otherwise it wouldn't be a zero-knowledge setup. (This is based on my last research of SpiderOak as of October 5, 2014, they may change later but unlikely).

I'm sorry that's the case and wish there was more positive news to offer everyone who's been requesting SpiderOak sync support for 1Password.

• MikeT
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi, I just want to update that SpiderOak does include a way to pull from the storage side of your SpiderOak account rather than the public share folders. It unfortunately does mean the data becomes available on SpiderOak servers, therefore violating the principle of the zero-knowledge setup.

From their API:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Accessing your data remotely through the web is the only instance when your data does become readable; however, these machines are only accessible by a select number of SpiderOak employees. For continued zero-knowledge privacy we only recommend accessing your data through the SpiderOak client, as it downloads the data before decrypting it.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT‌ I'm fully ok with that! SpiderOak is has an order of magnitude greater respect for my privacy than Dropbox and I don't want perfect to be the enemy of better.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk‌ what about my question from 29 Oct 2014?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Niklas,

May I ask how far away you are from going forward with this?

Is that the question you're referring to? I don't have an answer for that at the moment. We generally don't discuss priorities or pre-announce time frames for future plans as many factors (some beyond our control) can affect them.

• snackcat
    snackcat
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with the other's +1 for SpiderOak.
    I would love to see it supported.

• kmckean
    kmckean
    Community Member
    Options

Another +1 for SpiderOak -- soon as you can, please ... ;-)

• smscotten
    smscotten
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for SpiderOak from this sector as well, though let me add on to that that support for OwnCloud would be even better.

• sekmet
    sekmet
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for SpiderOak please.

This discussion has been closed.