Sync overwrites new passwords with old ones

Options
2»

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

4.5.1 refers to the iOS version (which is actually at 4.5.3 now), the latest OS X version is 4.4.1.

• dtperk
    dtperk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for explaining, littlebobbytables. I checked and I updated to iOS version 4.5.1 on 4/29/14, and I'm now on version 4.5.3. So either the synching bug was not completely eradicated or else something else caused my problem.

• dtperk
    dtperk
    Community Member
    Options

And, in case anyone from AgileBits cares to chime in (I am hoping they will), to be clear, I experienced the exact same problem that @karenmcgrane experienced in spite of having version 4.5.1 on my iOS devices.

Specifically, over the course of three days, I spent MANY hours using 1Password 4.4.1 for Mac to make all my passwords (close to 50 of them) stronger. Everything was fine for about two weeks. Then, an automatic sync overwrote most of the new passwords, changing them back to the old ones. I was using Dropbox to do syncing.

Fortunately, I read this forum, which helped me recover somewhat gracefully, but it still took several hours to sort things out.

But the larger--and remaining--problem is this: How can I trust that this won't happen again?

Does 1Password automatically save a backup before it does a sync? If not, it should! I didn't notice I had a problem until I tried to log in to a site several days after the corruption occurred.

Bottom line: I turned off syncing and have been evaluating other solutions. I'd really like to continue using 1Password, but at this point, I can't trust that my passwords are safe.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dtperk‌ I would have to agree with you there. Backing up the current passwords prior to a sync that involves changes would be a common sense point for it to happen. I only sync wirelessly so don't feel confident commenting on what 1Password's behaviour is. I also don't worry as much because I know I have Time Machine to fall back on too.

• dtperk
    dtperk
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting that you mention syncing wirelessly, @littlebobbytables. I was just reading up on that and will probably use that for synching if I decide to stick with 1Password.

I'd still love to hear from someone at AgileBits about all this...

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I, too, use wifi sync in preference to any third party sync. There is just one thing of which you need to be aware if you use it. Currently attachments do not sync when you use wifi sync.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @dtperk,

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here. That was a particularly nasty bug, but our developers have managed to squash it for the 4.5.1 iOS and 4.3.1 Mac releases, both of which have been out for a while now. As far as we know, it has been properly resolved. Since the issue you mention happened a few weeks after changing the passwords and not immediately when you synced, I'm not sure that this is the same issue, or a case of sync getting disconnected or using the wrong keychain file in Dropbox.

In any case, we'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/knowledgebase/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

—iOS—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/knowledgebase/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

And, @littlebobbytables‌, we do have an open feature request for initiating a backup just prior to sync - I'm happy to add a vote for you there. :)

ref: OPM-1788

• dtperk
    dtperk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply @Megan. I'm not sure I follow your line of reasoning...even though the first sync that occurred after I changed my passwords did not result in corrupted passwords (and the same is true for a few other syncs after that), isn't it possible that the sync that finally resulted in corrupted passwords was caused by an intermittent bug that finally surfaced?

In any case, I have been using wi-fi sync lately. Not sure I am willing to trust Dropbox syncing again, but if I decide to go that route, I will create and email the diagnostic reports you requested as well as a link to this thread and will post a note here indicating I emailed those items.

Please also put me down as voting for the open feature request for initiating a backup just prior to sync.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dtperk,

isn't it possible that the sync that finally resulted in corrupted passwords was caused by an intermittent bug that finally surfaced?

We'd need to take a look at the Diagnostics Reports to properly determine where things got tangled up. As I mentioned above, to the best of our knowledge, this bug was resolved in a previous update. We're here to help if you do decide to give Dropbox another go. In any case, I've added your vote to the feature request for backups prior to sync in our internal tracker.

• ushahzad
    ushahzad
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    Just want to chime in and say that this bug still exists. I'm using v5.0.2 on my MacBook, and 5.1.1 on my iPad.
    I just changed a password for an account using my MacBook, went to sync over WiFi to my iPad, and it was overwritten in both places with the old one.

• Hi @ushahzad‌,

Can you clarify something for me? When you say you "went to sync over WiFi to my iPad"... before you did this, did you already have your iPad configured for WiFi sync with your Mac, or did you set it up specifically to do this? (it may seem like an odd question, but it changes where we should look here). I'm currently on the hunt for sync bugs, and it sounds to me like there's definitely still something here.

If you (or anyone else reading this) sees this happen, it would help us immensely if you could generate a Diagnostics Report for us from the iOS device (assuming it's the iOS device that's pushing its old passwords over to the Mac). Generating a diagnostics report is as simple as following the instructions on this page.

In the email, please make reference to bug OPM-2563 which is the bug I've just created for this so that we can dive back in and try to determine what's going on here. I consider this issue incredibly serious, it's equivalent to dataloss, and that's unacceptable to me. Any information you can get to me that would help me get this bug to show itself would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

ref: OPM-2563

• brooksmason
    brooksmason
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick,

I'm having issues with this as well. It happened to me about a week ago and then again today.

Last week, I changed two passwords, Amazon and Github, from my desktop and noticed that I no longer had access to those websites from iOS, so I went ahead and synced over wifi to transfer them to my phone. This was my first time syncing on a new computer so I had to enter the code. After syncing, I noticed that I could no longer access Amazon from my desktop so I requested a password reset on my desktop and did not do anything about iOS.

Today, I noticed that my Github password was also wrong on my desktop, so I decided to sync again from my phone. I noticed that my 1password settings included dropbox as well, so I dismantled that setting thinking that might have been the issue, and synced the phone over wifi.

Again, my amazon password was broken, and surprise, my github password works again. I sent you a diagnostics report after todays sync.

Hopefully you guys can get this fixed up!

Thanks,
    Brooks

• AGMarshall
    AGMarshall
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

@brooksmason We received your email and will handle this via email going forward. ref: HBZ-15444-253

This discussion has been closed.