Sync between Macs.

Options
ucs308
ucs308
Community Member

I use my iPhone to sync between three macs, since wi-fi sync does not work mac-to-mac - and I have no interest in giving my data to dropbox or iCloud despite the fact it would "take almost a human lifetime to decrypt" - there is a bug that makes the process tougher than I think it should be.

If I want to sync between Mac 1 and Mac 2, I open wi-fi sync on my iPhone and then open the wi-fi sync menu on Mac 1. I select Mac 1 in the device list on the iPhone and sync. Then I close 1 password on Mac 1. I close the Mini 1Password too. And I open 1Password and the Wi-fi menu on Mac 2 and refresh the list of machines on the iPhone. Mac 1 shows up. and Mac 2 does not. And it continues that way for several minutes.

Is there some other process I need to kill?

Comments

• Good morning @ucs308‌. I just tested this one myself between my computer and my wife's and you're right, there is something strange going on here. I started with 1Password open on both computers with the Wi-Fi window showing. Refreshing the list I only saw my computer listed. I then closed the Wi-Fi window on my computer and refreshed the list on my phone - it still showed my computer. I then quit 1Password on my Mac and refreshed the list on my iPhone - it then showed no computers. I went back to my wife's computer, unlocked 1Password and reopened the Wi-Fi window. Refreshed on my phone - still nothing. I then closed the Wi-Fi window on my wife's Mac using the Close button in the lower right and reopened it. I refreshed the list on my phone and low and behold my wife's mac showed up in the list.

Clearly there is a bug here that we need to sort out. We've got some major improvements planned for Wi-Fi syncing coming up in the future that should help here. In the mean time, let me ask you this: Are these two computers on the same network? If so you could setup a shared folder between them and use 1Password for Mac's Folder sync option to keep them in sync. Then you'd only ever have to Wi-Fi sync to one Mac, thus eliminating this problem altogether.

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

@‌MrRooni wrote

Are these two computers on the same network? If so you could setup a shared folder between them and use 1Password for Mac's Folder sync option to keep them in sync

but @ucsS308, be warned that if either computer is ever disconnected from that network (e.g. one or more of the macs are laptops), then you will run into some difficulties - see discussion here

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

... accidental duplicate post

• MrRooni
    Options

@somainer‌ @ucs308‌ I just checked with my compatriots on the Mac development team and it would appear that I did indeed give you some less than savory advice. My apologies. At this time we don't officially support network shared folders for the reasons outlined in the thread linked by @somainer‌. This is something that we're thinking about and discussing within the team.

This discussion has been closed.