iTunes file sharing not working in 1Password 4.5

Jasper
edited June 2014 in iOS
This discussion was created from comments split from: Wi-Fi sync should be a priority.

Comments

• duelist77
    duelist77
    Community Member

Itunes files sharing (copying the password data to iOS device through itunes and usb cable) should also be a priority since it's another option that keeps everything local. But it's broken since 1password ios upgraded to v4.5 and it's still broken as of v4.5.1.

• duelist77
    duelist77
    Community Member

I second the call to get the itunes file sharing fixed ASAP. It's still broken as of 1password ios v4.5.1 (just updated today). I can't get wi-fi sync to work (it's stuck on the "refresh list" page on the ios side), and I am not willing to put my password data into the cloud with dropbox or icloud sync. So right now I'm going completely without 1password on my ios device.

• Hi @duelist77,

Very sorry for any inconvenience! We're aware that iTunes file sharing does not work in 4.5/4.5.1 and our developers are already working hard on a fix.

• GDWzLCoeOuPOniGU
    GDWzLCoeOuPOniGU
    Community Member

Not to be a pain, and I know that Apple's app store is notoriously difficult for pushing updates, and I don't want to rush the devs on this...but is there any ETA on an iTunes file sharing fix? (Are we talking weeks, months, ...?)

Thank you for your continued help.

• @GDWzLCoeOuPOniGU‌ I'm afraid that we don't have a timeframe to report on iTunes File Sharing. As soon as we know more we'll let you know. Would you be interested in joining the beta test for 1Password for iOS?

• GDWzLCoeOuPOniGU
    GDWzLCoeOuPOniGU
    Community Member
    edited May 2014

@MrRooni‌ I'm not sure that I have the time to properly help with feedback to aid in the beta cycle for the iOS app (though it has to be better than the currently unusable app): what are your requirements for beta testers in terms of timeframe? (Also...how would I get the app on my phone without being a registered Apple developer?)

Thank you for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @GDWzLCoeOuPOniGU,

There are no 'requirements' for beta testers. We appreciate whatever feedback you can provide. :) We use hockey app to distribute beta builds, so there's no need to be a registered developer. If you do decide to, here's the link to sign up for the iOS beta. We'd love to have your thoughts!

• GDWzLCoeOuPOniGU
    GDWzLCoeOuPOniGU
    Community Member

Thanks @Megan‌; I'll look into it.

• jimkb
    jimkb
    Community Member

My issue is similar to everyone else's in that iTunes File Sharing doesn't appear to work correctly, although I'm trying to transfer from my iOS device to 1Password 4 for Windows. It appears that the data is transferred but when I open the file on the PC it contains old data.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jimkb,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with iTunes File Sharing. As mentioned above, our developers are working on this. We'll be sure to update here as soon as we know more!

• xLarge4723
    xLarge4723
    Community Member

I hope you will fix this soon! I got a new iPad and now I can´t sync my 1Password files to the new device via the itunes sync. Why WLAN-sync does not support syncing attachements from MacOS to iOS?

• arielito
    arielito
    Community Member

Ah, did not realize this was the case. I purchased 1pass for the iphone solely because of the local sync through itunes. Bummer.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @xLarge4723‌ and @arielito‌

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here! Our developers know how important local sync is, and they are working to get this resolved for you all just as soon as possible.

Your patience here is much appreciated. :)

• ravibhatt
    ravibhatt
    Community Member

Hi @Megan‌. Apologies for getting a little impatient with this one but is there an ETA on this please?! Am really hoping to get this feature back soon please!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ravibhatt‌

Please see this thread on the same subject, which explains the new direction we are taking with respect to iTunes File Sharing. In short, the feature is being revised to match the Mac's backup and restore function. It will look slightly different, but the functionality will remain the same. Currently backup is available via this option, and we hope to add a restore function soon.

If you have any further questions, we're here to help!

• ravibhatt
    ravibhatt
    Community Member

Thanks @Megan‌!

• On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• xLarge4723
    xLarge4723
    Community Member

Today I got the update to version 4.4.1 but the sync of attachements via iTunes-sync is still not working.....my iOS app is version 4.5.2

I hope you will fix the problem asap! I will not use any cloud-sync-options to sync my private files to my devices except my own homeserver...but there is no webDAV support in 1password4! Why not?

• Hi @xLarge4723,

iTunes File Sharing is no longer available (since 1Password 4.5 for iOS). However, 1Password 4.5.2 for iOS now creates automatic backups that are accessible via iTunes. And we're looking into a restore function for a future update. This backup/restore function will replace iTunes File Sharing.

Please see this discussion for details:

1P 4.5 : File Sharing no longer an option in sync?

Regarding WebDAV sync, we planned it at one point but were unable to deliver:

We've long had our reluctance to promise features before they were delivered, but one exception was when we promised WebDAV/MobileMe synching for 1Password Pro for iOS. At the time we made that promise we were 95% complete with WebDAV support.

The remaining 5% killed us. It turns out that the speed and reliability of WebDAV file systems weren't up to the demands that were needed for the structure of the Agile Keychain Format. Once we started testing it in practical use, it just failed miserably. We tried to develop our own local cacheing on top of the WebDAV filesystem; we tried other tricks to lighten the load. In the end, we were dedicating a huge portion of our time to getting just the "last touches" to work that we had to abandon it and break our promise.

• duelist77
    duelist77
    Community Member

iTunes File Sharing is no longer available (since 1Password 4.5 for iOS). However, 1Password 4.5.2 for iOS now creates automatic backups that are accessible via iTunes. And we're looking into a restore function for a future update. This backup/restore function will replace iTunes File Sharing.

What, no more iTunes File Sharing? How else are we going to copy the restore keychain from the Mac to the iOS device if not through iTunes File Sharing? Is iTunes+USB, or indeed any local WIRED means of copying the keychain from Mac to iOS, still involved in the new restore function? The whole point of us uses raising concerns about the iTunes file sharing being broken is that there should still be some robust, well-supported-by-AgileBits local WIRED syncing solution going forward (and "syncing" here includes Mac keychain copied to iOS device overwriting the iOS keychain).

• Jasper
    edited June 2014

Hi @duelist77,

Sorry, that may have been badly worded. We're still using iTunes' file sharing feature, but we're no longer going to have an "iTunes File Sharing" sync option. This will be replaced by a backup/restore feature (similar to 1Password for Mac), but still use file sharing to transfer the backup files between iOS and Mac.

Also, I'm going to close this topic now so we can keep all the discussion about this in one topic:

iTunes file sharing not available in version 4.5?

This discussion has been closed.