1Password and 1Password 4 Both Running on Mac - How to Resolve? [Resolved now]

Options
Keane
Keane
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

Hi everyone,

I recently posted http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/24114/any-functional-differences-between-1password-and-1password-4 asking if there were any differences between 1Password and 1Password 4 after realizing I have both versions active and syncing without any problem on my Mac. This issue had come about by starting with a demo off the Agilebits website and then purchasing the app in the Mac App Store.

One suggestion in the prior discussion was simply to delete one of the 1 Password applications from the applications folder and leave all support files intact. As I am getting ready to do this I wanted to check it to see if others had further thoughts on how to safely and securely delete the duplicate app and support data if needed. I am running version 4.4 on both 1Password and 1Password 4.

Thank you.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Depending on which version you want to get rid of there are two knowledge base articles that will help you:

Migrating from the Mac App Store version to the AgileBits store version

Migrating from the beta to the Mac App Store version

(Note that the latter article also applies if moving from a non-beta AgileBits store version to a Mac App Store version.)

Stephen

• Keane
    Keane
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot for the reply. Those articles both helped. I ended up choosing to keep 1Password 4 as it has my backup history going back several weeks, the App Store version just a few days.

I did not need to move over the backup and data folders from ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4 as suggested in the first article as they were already located there and up to date.

I have trashed the AppStore 1Password application. I think I should also trash the the backup and data folders from ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper as well. Thoughts anyone?

Thank you.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The usual recommendation about trashing backup folders is to wait a little while until you're completely sure everything is OK with the installation you've chosen to run. ;) Clearly when you trash those items is up to you but it won't do any harm to wait a little!

Stephen

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

One suggestion in the prior discussion was simply to delete one of the 1 Password applications from the applications folder

That was me, but I emphasised to quit one of the 1Password Minis before doing that. Assume you don't have two minis still?

• Keane
    Keane
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thanks everyone.

I will wait awhile to trash the excess backup folders as suggested.

I quit both 1 Password minis in each app version before trashing the 1 Password app. Then I restarted and reactivated the mini in the 1 Password 4 app. Everything seems to be working as it should.

Thanks again for all the help.

• Meek
    Options

Hi @Keane,

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that everything went smoothly - that is great!

As @Stephen_C‌ recommended, it is a good idea to keep your backups around for a little while. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

• Keane
    Keane
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @keane,

On behalf of everybody here, you're welcome. Don't hesitate to let us know if we can be of further assistance.

This discussion has been closed.