CMD+\ shortcut on Mac with Chrome not working

Options
jaredcooker
jaredcooker
Community Member

I've been evaluating 1password. For the last week everything has worked perfectly. Then this morning I got an error when I tried to auto-fill using the shortcut CMD+\ on my Mac. I followed the troubleshooting instructions and ultimately disabled "Verify browser code signature."

Now the CMD+\ shortcut key does not work in Chrome. I tried re-checking the box to "Verify browser code signature" but the shortcut key still doesn't work. Here's what I've tried.

1. I deleted the Chrome extension and reinstalled it
  2. I changed the shortcut key in 1P to no avail
  3. I rebooted my computer
  4. I've restarted Chrome several times and tried a bunch of different sites.

If I click the 1P Chrome extension icon in my browser and choose the site, it will auto-fill. But the shortcut key still doesn't work.

I was totally sold on buying a license to 1P, but if there are quirky issues like this I may have to find an alternative. Please help!

MacbookPro OS X v10.9.2
Chrome Version 34.0.1847.131
1P Chrome Extension 4.1.1.90
1P 4 v 4.4 (440002)

Comments

• Kobes
    Kobes
    Community Member
    Options

Did you happen to install any other software in the meantime? It could be that another app 'hijacked' the shortcut (just a wild guess).

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I just checked my Chrome installation, and Cmd+\ is auto filling and submitting for me.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@jaredcooker‌, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the hotkey. I checked with all the latest Chrome versions in case a silent update might have broken the hotkey but 1Password works fine with them.

Do you mind answering the following questions:

1. What about the other shortcut, Command + Option + \, is this also not working in Chrome?
    2. Are you using multiple Chrome profiles or just one?
    3. Do you use other browsers, like Safari or Firefox? If yes, can you test the hotkey there just in case it may not be isolated to Chrome but to your system.
  • grillp
    grillp
    Community Member
    Options

Hey all,

I have the same problem on my OSX..

I first started getting the 'signature issue' (on both chrome and safari) a few weeks ago,, and then switched it off in 1password.. but Cmd+\ does not work.. Cmd-Alt-option does popup mini, and password fill works if I click on the browser 1password icon, but not with Cmd+\

This is in both Chrome & Safari..

I have rebooted, reinstalled chrome, reinstalled the plugins, restarted mini, turned off other utils on my machine.. etc etc.. but Cmd+\ not working..

My OSX Version is: Maverick 10.9.3 (up to date)
    My Chrome version is: 36.0.1985.32 (up to date)
    My Safari version is: 7.0.4 (9537.76.4) (up to date)
    I don't have fast user switching enabled (Only 1 user defined)
    I have multiple profiles in chrome, but really aonly use 1 normally and this has worked since I installed 1password early last year
    I have a single profile
    I use drop box for sync

Any ideas?

G./

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @grillp,

We've seen this issue appear for a few users since the recent OS update. Please follow the steps in our support article here to Configuring Sophos. This usually gets things back up and running, but please let me know if this doesn't do you any good, and we'll investigate further!

• abuzze
    abuzze
    Community Member
    Options

Thx @Megan. Adding localhost to the allowed websites in Sophos fixed this problem for me.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent, @abuzze. Thanks for letting us know Sophos configuration did the trick for you! :)

• turansky
    turansky
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    What is Sophos? That page doesn't help me. I have the same problem with the hotkeys not doing anything.
    The Command + Option + \ brings up the mini window.
    The Command + \ doesn't do a thing.
    Tried Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password Mini.
    Tried restarting computer.

When I use the hotkey it doesn't work. Any other ideas? Using Safari Version 7.1.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Are you sure about that version of Safari? I'm running OS X 10.9.4 and it only comes with 7.0.5. I don't know about Yosemite but if you're running a beta version of Safari it might be more problematic and you might need to look at the beta version of 1Password.

• turansky
    turansky
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I have attached a screenshot of what Safari version I have. 1Password does work in Firefox and Chrome just not Safari. Any ideas?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

You do seem to be running a beta version of Safari and one that was released yesterday. Assuming Safari was working before that would be first thought, the beta has broken something. I'm not part of Apple's beta program so I have no idea if it's easy or not to return to a stable version to compare.

Of course the fact that you're running a day old beta may have nothing to do with whatever you're experiencing. Just that if it does you may not get a timely resolution given Agilebits will have only seen this beta at the same time as you.

NB. According to a couple of sites the developers' notes made specific mention of checking extension compatibility.

Lastly, if you're not sure what Sophos is it seems fair to say you're not running it on your system so that shouldn't be an issue for you :-)

--Edit--
    I've read comments that suggest Apple accidentally offered this update to everybody and not just the developer program - there's an "oops" moment :-/

• turansky
    turansky
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the insight. I hope Agilebits and Safari will work someday. Have a nice day.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @turansky,

Safari 7.1 Seed 1 Developer preview appearing in App Store, as @littlebobbytables helpfully mentioned, was unintended and temporary. Have you been able to revert to Safari 7.0.5 and get 1Password keyboard shortcuts working properly again?

• Travis Mehlinger
    Travis Mehlinger
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

The Sophos fixed worked for me with a bit of modification. It wasn't enough just to add localhost to allowed sites, I also had to put in 127.0.0.1 (apparently whatever is going on in the background is not looking up by name on my machine, who knows).

Hope this helps others!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Travis,

Thanks for clarifying what worked for you. Step 3 of Configuring Sophos says:

3. Click the plus sign and type in 127.0.0.1 to the Allowed Websites.

Using that localhost address might have been what @‌abuzze meant:

Adding localhost to the allowed websites in Sophos fixed this problem for me.

:)

• PaulNX
    PaulNX
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem:

1) Recently updated from 1PW3 to 1PW5. Deleted the old browser extension in Chrome as recommended. Restarted Chrome. Installed the new browser extension.
    2) The extension is working fine if I click on the icon.
    3) However both CMD+/ and CMD+OPTION+/ failed to trigger the extension.

Any idea how to troubleshoot/fix this issue?

Thanks a lot,

P.

• @PaulNX‌ Are you running any sort of Antivirus/Firewall/VPN/Proxy? If so, add 127.0.0.1 to the white list or safe list. Or are you perhaps running more than one Chrome Profile at the same time?

• PaulNX
    PaulNX
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

No Antivirus, no VPN, but indeed a proxy setting. I added the IP address and restarted Chrome.

Maybe it’s me. I’m used to CMD+/ triggering the old 1Password3 extension in Chrome. I understand that in 1Password 5 the extension is actually an instance of 1Password Mini? So is there supposed to be a specific shortcut for the browser extension, of is the Mini global shortcut the same one that will trigger the extension in my browser? If I set the global shortcut for Mini as CMD+/, it should work everywhere, right, including in Chrome?

P.

• @PaulNX‌

I understand that in 1Password 5 the extension is actually an instance of 1Password Mini?

You're correct. In 1P3, the extension housed the fill code, a copy of the 1Password database, and the HTML/CSS for the extension interface. In 1P4 and 1P5, we changed things. Now the extension is simply fill code. 1Password mini taps directly into the database (hence no copy that needs to be synced) and provides the interface in native Cocoa.

Therefore, the 1Password mini shortcut works across all browsers, and the global shortcut, option-command-\, can bring up 1Password mini anywhere on the system.

The requirement for localhost (127.0.0.1) is not new, however. Even 1Password 3 required that for the extension to receive the shortcut command.

The only other thing that comes off the top of my head at the moment is what other extensions are in Chrome? Also, does Safari exhibit the same behavior with the shortcuts?

• PaulNX
    PaulNX
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe it’s me preferences setting. I’ll try different options and see how it goes. Thanks for the explanation: along with some other tips I got on another thread, it puts me on the right tracks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PaulNX,

I'm glad to hear you're on the right track! We're here if you ever take a different track though. ;)

This discussion has been closed.