iCloud sync for 1Pass 4.5.1 and iOS 7.1.1

Options
jackbook30
jackbook30
Community Member

Hello,

Had to replace my iphone and reinstalled all apps from the iCloud backup. When I try and setup 1password and select sync with iCloud, 1Pass says looking up iCloud information then throws an error: Data folder exists in iCloud Container exists but it is missing important vault information (profile.js).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Pete

Comments

• MrRooni
    Options

Hello Pete! It's possible that iCloud has not finished downloading the file for 1Password yet. Try it again once you've waited for a bit and see if it works then.

• John Vann
    John Vann
    Community Member
    Options

We had the same problem on my wife's iPhone today. It was syncing fine between the desktop and laptop, but we got that same message as Pete on the iPhone. I finally had to stop iCloud syncing on the desktop; delete the 1Password folders in ~/Library/Mobile Documents; and then re-enable syncing.

• MrRooni
    Options

Thanks for the tips, John!

• jason269
    jason269
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

I am actually having this exact issue after getting a new iPhone. Unfortunately i am stuck because I don't have 1Password for Mac, only for iOS 7. I would really like to get my data back as I had a lot of stuff in there.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jason269,

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with 1Password right now. As @MrRooni mentions above, sometimes iCloud requires a bit of patience. We are not able to directly initiate a sync here, so it can take a while for your data to fully sync, especially on the initial sync.

Is it working any better after a bit of a wait?

• pdquinlan1p243
    pdquinlan1p243
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem on 1 of 2 ipads. First ipad (air) no problem - synced on first try (am temporarily switching from syncing with Dropbox to syncing with iCloud because I am preparing to send my Mac to Apple for repairs). When I next tried to sync my other ipad (2) it repeatedly reports the same issue. "Error -- Data folder exists in iCloud container exists but it is missing important vault information (profile.js). I have tried multiple times for more than 30 minutes. What to do to get this iPad so it will sync my 1Password content with iCloud? Please advise.

• pdquinlan1p243
    pdquinlan1p243
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I did successfully switch my Mac from syncing with Dropbox to syncing with iCloud before attempting to switch syncing my iPhone and 2 iPads. The iPhone and 1 of 2 iPads switched okay; the other iPad is reporting an apparent problem with syncing with iCloud.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pdquinlan1p243‌

Now, there are a few very basic things that we need to check before we get into the more detailed troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that you are logged in with the same iCloud account on all computers and devices. (If you're like me and have somehow collected several, this could be where things are getting tangled!)
    • Please ensure that 'Documents and Data' is enabled for iCloud on all devices.

If those items check out, let's reset sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and tap 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

• pdquinlan1p243
    pdquinlan1p243
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan -- Yes, I am logged it to same iCloud account and both have enabled 'Documents and Data'. But, the 1Password settings on the iPad that is having the problem does not have the same menu options as you describe. That is, when I Open 1Password 4 on that iPad2 and tap on Settings > Sync > it does not display a Sync Services option (as it does on my iPadAir which seems to be okay and also on the iPhone5 that seems to be okay). Instead, the menu on the iPad2 displays the following (top-to-bottom):
    < Settings Sync
    PRIMARY VAULT
    Start Syncing >
    Items 771

If I tap on 'Start Syncing' a menu appears that directs me to choose a sync method and lists 3 options: iCloud,Dropbox, and Wi-Fi. If I tap on 'Sync with iCloud' a messages displays that it is 'looking for information' and shortly thereafter an ERROR message appears: "Data folder exists in iCloud container exists but it is missing important vault information (profile.js) -- Dismiss.

I can not use my Mac now because it is being repaired by Apple. Reminder: This problematic episode began when I had to switch from syncing 1Password with my Dropbox to syncing with my iCloud - while my Mac is away for repair. I intend to resume syncing with my Dropbox when my Mac is repaired and returned by Apple - hopefully within a week. In the interim, 1Password is not syncing with my iPad2.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pdquinlan1p243‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble here. Let's try resetting the Documents and Data in iCloud:

• On your computer, go to iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID.
    • Click your account name in the upper-right corner of the page, then choose Account Settings.
    • Go to Advanced > Reset Documents & Data > Reset Documents and Data, then click Reset and wait for the reset process to complete.
    • When you're asked to restart your devices, shut down each device that is set up for iCloud documents and data, then restart.
    • Wait about 20 minutes, and then reconnect 1Password on each device to iCloud.

Please let me know how this works!

• pdquinlan1p243
    pdquinlan1p243
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan - but... I do not have my Mac - it is at Apple's repair facility. See above. Instead, would it be correct and OK to use one of my IOS devices to log into my iCloud.com to reset Documents & Data? I am worried that doing a reset will wipe out my 700+ 1Password items. That wold be a disaster.....! Please advise. Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pdquinlan1p243‌

Unfortunately, the iCloud website sometimes doesn't display properly on mobile browsers. It really is easiest to do this process on a computer. If you don't have access to another computer, we can try doing the same process using 1Browser within the 1Password app. Before you go to iCloud.com though, please go to Settings > 1Browser > User Agent and select Safari (Mac). This might trick the website into behaving as if it was on a desktop.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this will work for you!

• pdquinlan1p243
    pdquinlan1p243
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan -- Before doing a reset, I need to be assured that my 1Password items (700+) will not be deleted/lost by me resetting my iCloud & Data. I ask again, would it be OK and correct to do such a reset? I m crossing my fingers too, but I can not risk deleting my 1Password database. Please advise. Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pdquinlan1p243‌

Don't worry, we've got you covered here. This reset process will not remove any data. It simply tells the server to re-deliver the 1Password data to your devices. :)

• pdquinlan1p243
    pdquinlan1p243
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan -- That did it (I used my wife's Mac to reset my iCloud's Documents & Data - all good now on all 3 iOS devices.

Thanks for your advice and patience. Have a nice day... ;-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pdquinlan1p243‌

I'm so glad to hear that you're sorted out now! I do apologize for the trouble, I know that sync can be a scary thing when it's not working. :)

We're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

• Gerardo Carrillo
    Gerardo Carrillo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan‌ I`m having the exact same problem than @pdquinlan1p243; I followed the steps but I'm afraid that it did not work, is there something else that I could try? I already reinstall the app and reset iCloud settings but I keep getting the same "profile.js" mistake when I try to sync via iCloud.

Thanks!

• Hi Gerardo,

First of all, have you used the iOS 8 or Yosemite betas?

If not, just to confirm, have you tried re-setting iCloud sync:

• On your iOS device(s), open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service, then Disable Sync.

• On your Mac(s), open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click 1Password in the menu bar, then Preferences. Go the the Sync tab, and then click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.
    • Restart all your devices.

• On your Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud sync.

• Wait a few minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.
    • Go back to any other Macs and iOS devices and re-enable iCloud sync.

If that doesn't help, could please email us a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device, along with your forum username, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

• Shled
    Shled
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    After learning of the potential security breach with Dropbox today I found I needed to get up to speed on switching to iCloud as I was having some of the above problems changing my sync destination. Thanks to all the above info, I was able to finally all five devices synced. After doing so, when looking at the results I notice that each device shows a different number of "Logins" items under Category. It may have been this way before but I did not see it.

(Example after fresh sync of all devices):
    MBP (OSX 10.9.5) shows 154 Login items
    iPhone 5 (iOS8.02) shows 156 Login items
    iPhone 5 (iOS7.0.4 shows 139 Logins items
    iPad2 (iOS7.04) shows 155 Login items
    iPhone 4s (iOS7.0.4) shows 134 Login items
    Is this normal? And if so, could there be an explanation provided?

And one more question if I may? If the phone is lost and someone else tries to get into my 1Password account, how many times can they bang away at the PIN code screen or login screen before something happens to stop them and do I receive any notice of the attempted break-in?
    Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

1Password will not sync via iCloud between Macs and iOS devices (with iOS 8) currently. It will not until Yosemite and 1Password 5 for Mac are installed. If you are seeing different numbers of logins, you are likely not in sync.

And one more question if I may? If the phone is lost and someone else tries to get into my 1Password account, how many times can they bang away at the PIN code screen or login screen before something happens to stop them

After 1 failed attempt 1Password will no longer accept the PIN and will require the Master Password.

and do I receive any notice of the attempted break-in?

1Password would have no way of notifying you.

For what it is worth, Dropbox is saying they did NOT have a security breach:

iCloud definitely did, however:

Thanks.

• Shled
    Shled
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

As for the security of cloud services, IMHO they all could be better, but for convenience I try to use the best at the time, so when the current FBI director says Apple's iOS8 security is too good, that may be good enough for many. And Apple's servers were not hacked, rather a determined bunch of script kiddies performed brute-force attacks, for months, on select celebrity accounts. They were apparently able to exploit a weakness in Find My Phone login security (allowing them to bang away at guessing a password forever) which Apple has fixed/closed a month ago. I was disappointed that the issue wasn't found and fixed earlier as Apple seems to be pretty forward thinking in term of security of users info, but since I don't post nude pix AND I'm not a Kardashun I was not too worried.

DropBox does not seem to have told users that their accounts were seeing suspicious activity months ago, until today's report they were hacked.
    As a longtime user and supporter of theirs, that is concerning.

But back to the question at hand, if I switch to using DropBox for 1Password syncing (using the same hardware/software combos listed above) the number of Logins will be the identical across all devices? If so, I'll try it, after enabling 2-step verification.

• Ben
    Options

The number of items in any given category should be the same, yes.

This discussion has been closed.