Why don't I have any rich icons appearing?

Options
pervel
pervel
Community Member

learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/no-rich-icons.html

And when was this? A day ago? A week? A month? A year?

Please add a date to this kind of knowledge base items. ;)

Alternatively, make sure it's clear what "next release" means.

Comments

• teebone
    teebone
    Community Member
    Options

I also have this problem which is irritating given that I just spent $50.00 for this. I made the (stupid?) mistake of turning these off in Prefs to see what the option really did and Voila, it permanently removed them even when I turned it back on. Seriously?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@pervel:

And when was this? A day ago? A week? A month? A year?

That was several months ago back in Nov '13. I've filed a report for the docs team to archive the KB article as it is outdated.

The fix was in the 4.0.8 update, back in November '13.

Please add a date to this kind of knowledge base items.

Brilliant idea, I've notified the team to see if they can start dating them.

Alternatively, make sure it's clear what "next release" means.

We'll try to clarify it and archive the article as soon as the update is out.

@teebone:

I made the (stupid?) mistake of turning these off in Prefs to see what the option really did and Voila, it permanently removed them even when I turned it back on. Seriously?

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the setting. I just turned it off and on 1Password 4.4 right now and it works just fine for me.

Can you try restart the 1Password app completely by opening the main 1Password app and then press Control + Command + Q, this will close both 1Password and 1Password mini.

Once you do this, open 1Password, and see if the Rich Icons setting is still checked, and then see if the rich icons are back.

Also, check if your firewall is not blocking 1Password from downloading the data, some firewalls can get overaggressive and block it if it detects new traffic it didn't expect.

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, there are still a few of my logins that don't have icons. I have checked some of them manually. If my browser displays an icon for the site (the "favicon"), shouldn't 1Password also be able to read it?

Here are a few of the sites that 1Password does not find an icon for even though the browser does:

zam.com

ekstrabladet.dk

jubii.dk

unotel.dk

• Meek
    Options

Hi @pervel,

Thanks for the update.

Rather than downloading the low resolution favicon for a login item, we decided to go with the Rich Icons feature in 1Password 4. We maintain a database of high resolution icons for the most popular websites and update these as we go. As such, not every website will be included.

You can, however, add custom icons for the websites that don't have rich icons if you would like. Just edit the item and drag the image onto the icon placeholder.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pervel,

Our icon image service queues and prioritizes requests for getting new rich icons that 1Password can use.

For example, you've reported it doesn't currently have one for zam.com and let's say it was never requested. After someone (maybe you) first added a Login item for zam.com, when 1Password next polled the image server for rich icons it let the server know it's missing one for zam.com. That queued a request for the server to find an icon, and it ranked the priority in the queue by popularity of requests for that URL's icon.

The server should now have an icon for ekstrabladet.dk. If you're not seeing it on your item(s), please give this a try.

• Edit item.
    • Select its icon (single-click).
    • Tap Delete key to remove the icon.
    • Save item.
    • Icon downloads from image server.

Eventually our server should have icons for the other sites you mentioned; they're somewhere in the queue. Or you can manually add customs icons to any items.

I hope that's helpful and answers your question. :)

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the replies. Basing it on popularity of a site is perhaps a bit unfortunate for those of us from smaller countries. Going over my logins with missing icons, I notice that most of them are indeed dk-domains (from Denmark). This is obviously not a critical issue. But I hope you will take this into account somehow in the future.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pervel,

Thanks for the followup about this. I'll make sure to let the developers know you'd appreciate if the icon server prioritization is able to account for domains that can be worthy of support without necessarily being popular. The "little guys" deserve representation, too. :)

Have you been able to get a rich icon for ekstrabladet.dk to show up there?

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, but I discovered that I had actually used the address eb.dk which redirects to ekstrabladet.dk. I guess such alternative addresses are not taken into account when looking for icons.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

There does appear to be an issue with rich icon processing not handling redirects, @pervel, and I'll file a bug. Thanks for reporting this!

This discussion has been closed.