New, struggling and frustrated.

Options
stevesalisbury
stevesalisbury
Community Member

Having locked myself out, deleted and reloaded I am now struggling to actually use the app. I wrote a note but there's no obvious way to save it to a folder. I tried to enter an e mail - what is a 'section' please? I now have a nice list of stuff about my e mail but there no way that I can log into it without going to Google in the browser and entering the information as I have always done. It's just behind two passwords now rather than one. I press the key logo and I get a non functioning drop down box. What is it for please? I use an ipad 3 and despite the manual saying that the steps are identical to the iPhone they are not! Or at least the screen shots differ entirely.This is fast becoming a white elephant of an app and if it wasn't so expensive I would have deleted it by now. Sorry to be grumpy but the accolades that I have read for the app suggest that it's intuitive - not for this idiot sadly.

Comments

• jwrhold
    jwrhold
    Community Member
    Options

I agree completely. My friend swears by this app, yet all I want to do us swear at it!

So far, very disappointed! And confused on how to work the wretched thing.

I will be following your post to see whet help you get.

• Magdalena1
    Magdalena1
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

It can be challenging to get going on the app at least. It took me half an hour to get it to prefill my passwords, but working fine now. The help documentation does suck. If you're using the ios app...

What I finally figured out is you have to enter web site passwords in the "login" category, not the "password" section (which is kinda dumb if you ask me). Press the little plus button in the top right hand corner. Choose login category to create if you haven't already. Then click on that login category.

On the next page, click on the plus sign at the top again to add a website. This will pull up a page that says Login at the top. Edit that to say the name of your website. There's space for you to fill in your username and password and the web address and then hit done. I entered my gmail and yahoo accounts successfully this way. I know there's a separate email category but I'm choosing to leave that alone.

The key is you can only access the auto sign in feature by then clicking on that web address you just created. It will open in 1passwords own browser. My understanding is it won't work with any 3rd party browsers at all. It's kinda cool to see in action once it works, but I've already noticed some sites it doesn't work for (newyorktimes.com). I hope this helps a little...

• Magdalena1
    Magdalena1
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Oh, and the key logo you mention, once you get the login category (again, NOT the password category or email category) set up it will display logins for you to choose from as well as credit card info. 100% counterintuitive when you are setting it up, yes.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stevesalisbury‌

I sincerely apologize for the trouble you've been having getting started with 1Password. It sounds like you've had a frustrating go of things, and I'll do my best to answer each of your questions for you. I also want to direct your attention to our new user guide customized for version 4.5. There are still some missing instructions that are still being written and polished up, but it should give you a good place to start!

I wrote a note but there's no obvious way to save it to a folder.

You're right! This is a bug that our developers are working to fix. I've mentioned to them that you're keen to see this option soon!

I tried to enter an e mail - what is a 'section' please?

The 'Section' option below the default details in any entry simply provides you a place to add any extra information that you might feel is relevant for that entry. For Logins that require it, I use the section to add security questions and answers, for example.

but there no way that I can log into it without going to Google in the browser and entering the information as I have always done.

To log into a site that you have saved your information for, simply tap on the URL while you're viewing the item. 1Browser will open up and fill your details for you. :) If you are already viewing a page on 1Browser that you have a Login saved for, please tap the key icon - the Logins that match the URL that you are on will be available for you to select. Tap the Login to fill your details in.

I hope this helps to get you started, but I'd be happy to help if you had any further questions!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jwrhold,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're frustrated with 1Password right now. We certainly don't want you swearing at the app.

Please let me know where you're getting tangled up, and I'd be happy to help you get sorted out!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Magdalena1,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble finding the solutions that you need in our current documentation. Our document team is working hard to bring our documents up to date for version 4.5, but this is probably small comfort to you now!

What I finally figured out is you have to enter web site passwords in the "login" category, not the "password" section (which is kinda dumb if you ask me)

I can see how this could be confusing to a new user. Logins are the place to store all your usernames and passwords so that you can automatically log in to websites. (The 'Login' category, as well as the 'Credit Cards' and 'Identities' categories, have magical fill-in-browser properties.) The passwords category is where all generated passwords created by 1Password will be stored until you save them into a Login. Some users also use this category for storing things like lock combinations or other 'passwords' that have no other information attached to them.

Thanks so much for providing your experience here - I'm glad to hear that you managed to get things working eventually ... but if you do run into any other snags, please let me know and we'll go from there!

• stevesalisbury
    stevesalisbury
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan‌

Thank you. I have managed to somehow save several different things but only logins works as it should - at least for me. Like @Magdalena1‌ I have found the e mail category totally baffling and have started to put my e mails into logins.

Another question: on the 1Password website it says that it is possible to generate passwords randomly from within the app. How do I achieve that please? That would be an extremely useful tool.

I have been using the User Guide that you suggest and have found it great (apart from the screenshots that do not reflect what I see on the ipad) for logins but as that's about as far as it goes. Could you hard working designers perhaps give an example for each category please? I love the design concept but I fear that it has some way to go before, to coin a phrase from Apple, 'it just works'.

I am impressed by your customer service though. Thank you for being so helpful and cheery. I know that I am an idiot but I am grateful not to have been treated as one!

• stevesalisbury
    stevesalisbury
    Community Member
    Options

@jwrhold - Thanks for responding. I am persevering but it's like wading through syrup at times!

• stevesalisbury
    stevesalisbury
    Community Member
    Options

@Magdalena1‌ - Thank you so much for your really helpful response. I am getting there slowly and I won't be beaten simply because now I have the bit between my teeth. Clearly the package is not as ready as the marketing spiel suggests. Never mind, things can only get better!

• farmerjohn
    farmerjohn
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Another question: on the 1Password website it says that it is possible to generate passwords randomly from within the app. How do I achieve that please? That would be an extremely useful tool.

When you create a new or edit an existing entry, there is a small key symbol in the line you enter/see your password. If you press that key you see the password generator coming up. You can change the length, and if you press "Show password recipe" also several other features of the created password. Hope that helps.

Edit: Now with screenshots :)

• stevesalisbury
    stevesalisbury
    Community Member
    Options

@farmerjohn‌ Excellent. Thank you very much.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stevesalisbury‌

I'm so glad to hear that things are slowly getting better for you! It's also wonderful to see that you're receiving help from some of our other forum members here.

I know there are a lot of categories in 1Password, so I'll do my best to clear things up just a little bit here.

There are 3 categories in 1Password that have the ability to fill information directly into webpages for you:

• Logins: combinations of usernames and passwords, saved with the URL of the website's log in page.
    • Credit Cards: your credit card details, including expiry date and verification code
    • Identities: names and address information

The remaining categories are simply there to provide you with extra options for organizing your sensitive information. Personally, I never use the 'email address' category (my email log in details are stored in a Login and I see no reason to add extra details such as server information.) But we try to provide a variety of categories to help users organize their data however they see fit.

You can safely ignore most of the categories in 1Password until you're ready for them. Logins is your powerhouse category that will give you the most day-to-day value.

I hope this helps a bit more, and keep the questions coming :)

• stevesalisbury
    stevesalisbury
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan‌ - Thanks Megan. I'll stick to Logins for most things I think.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stevesalisbury‌

That's probably a great place to start. I don't want to sell the other categories too short though, I have all my passport, license information and bank account details set up in 1Password, and it's so handy to have this information at my fingertips instead of having to try and dig through piles of cards and stacks of papers to find what I need. :)

This discussion has been closed.