Dropbox sync broken

Options
mikesten
mikesten
Community Member

Over the weekend I noticed that my Dropbox sync had silently stopped working at some point in the past, so I came to the forum to see whether anyone else is having the same trouble and found this:

"Important: Please make sure to sync any changes from Android to Dropbox before updating to beta 15"
http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/24023/attention-dropbox-users-changes-in-beta-15

I'm not sure about anyone else but I don't check the forum before every update. Generally speaking, I'm launching 1p to do something, particularly the mobile version. I don't take a break to get over to the forum and check for notices - I just install because I'm in the middle of trying to work. Please do something more sensible to alert us to breaking changes in the future. Even just an email heads up to beta testers?

Unfortunately, comments are also disabled on that post so I can't ask the question I intended to, namely: What do I do if I've already updated? I don't want to lose my passwords and I'm not sure - in the new app - where to find a list of unsynced changes so I can't manually sort this out.

So two things:

• Please announce breaking changes somewhere more visible than the forum.
  • How do I get a list of unsynced changes?

Comments

• toots
    toots
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, just put latest Beta in and I'm having a nightmare with Dropbox, just keeps saying Looking for 1Password Setting file Found 1Password Data File Sync failed possibly because of networking issues, check your network and resync again

Oh dear oh dear, such a brilliant app and it seems to be going horribly wrong

• mikesten
    mikesten
    Community Member
    Options

@toots‌ That's exactly the error I'm getting. I'm assuming it's related to that notice about beta 15...?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure about anyone else but I don't check the forum before every update. Generally speaking, I'm launching 1p to do something, particularly the mobile version. I don't take a break to get over to the forum and check for notices - I just install because I'm in the middle of trying to work. Please do something more sensible to alert us to breaking changes in the future. Even just an email heads up to beta testers?

I hate to say it (and I'm sure the Agile guys won't) but this is beta software. 1) You should be checking the forums semi-regularly (and definitely around updates) and 2) if you want flawless operation then don't use beta software.

What do I do if I've already updated? I don't want to lose my passwords and I'm not sure - in the new app - where to find a list of unsynced changes so I can't manually sort this out.

I did this using by going to Settings > Apps > 1Password and then tapping Force Stop followed by Clear Data. When you next run 1Password it takes you through the first run setup procedure. After re-connecting to dropbox the sync worked perfectly.

• mikesten
    mikesten
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne‌ I understand that this is beta software and I know where you're coming from but bear in mind what "beta" actually means: we're providing early feedback on features and doing acceptance testing because it'll get us a product we actually want, which AgileBits will then charge us for when the product is finished. Their software isn't free and neither is our time - that's the trade. By way of reciprocation I'd appreciate more diligence with how my time might be wasted by an update. When we have significant updates to our beta programme at work we send out an email. We also have phone support for customers. All I'm petitioning for is something more appropriate than a sticky post on a forum - an email warning, say.

Thanks for your tip though. Will stopping and then clearing delete local passwords that haven't synced yet?

• mverde
    Options

Hi @mikesten‌,

I'm sorry that the information about the syncing change in the beta didn't reach you. In addition to adding the sticky note to the forum, we also sent out a newsletter detailing this change and included these details in the release notes that popup in the in-app update prompt. While we were attempting to be diligent in this regard, we obviously weren't successful in getting the message to everyone.

I would like to help you get Dropbox syncing set up again on your device and try to avoid any data loss in the process. Stopping the app and clearing the data will cause any unsynced items to be lost, so I wouldn't recommend that approach until you've determined that you are not going to lose any data. Unfortunately, the recourse at this stage is to manually go through your items, check for changes, and write them down. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help and sorry for the inconvenience!

• mikesten
    mikesten
    Community Member
    Options

@mverde Firstly, excellent reply - many thanks. Secondly, I definitely have changes but I also have 550+ items. I don't know when my syncing stopped and I'm not sure which of those items I have updated. Is there anywhere (a log file somewhere?) that would let me see what's queued for syncing?

• mverde
    Options

@mikesten‌ I can sympathize as I have hundreds of items in my vault as well. Unfortunately, log files won't be any help here. We only keep a sync log for the most recent attempt at syncing and it doesn't list the items that are queued for syncing.

When you make changes in 1Password 4 on Android, the app attempts to sync those changes immediately after you tap the save button. Barring any problems connecting to Dropbox, any changes that you made prior to updating to beta 15 will have been synced to Dropbox shortly after the change was made. The potential data loss here should be limited to the following two scenarios:

• Changes that you made on your Android device before updating to beta 15 when you were unable to connect to Dropbox (eg. no internet connection)
    • Changes that you made on your Android device after updating to beta 15 (none of these would have synced to Dropbox because of the change in authentication keys)

At a bare minimum, I would suggest that you identify any passwords that you cannot reset or recover and make sure that those are the same on both your Android and desktop installations. I wish I had more helpful advice to offer, but at this point, I think that manual comparison is the only sure way of determining that no data loss will occur. Please let me know if I can answer any more questions for you!

This discussion has been closed.