Trouble getting 1P4 to fill credentials for Google Earth

Options
chap_harrison
chap_harrison
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

I'm running the latest Google Earth on OS 10.9.2. When I click "Sign In" in that app, a modal "sheet" appears, requesting my Google Account sign-in creds. When I click the 1P4-mini menu icon and then select "Google", a bunch of stuff happens very quickly, but finally a Safari window appears with a Google message saying "400. That's an error" and provides a link to a page about the deprecation of OpenID 2.0 (Migration). So obviously that wasn;t the way to fill in the creds.

So then I find my way back to Google Earth, which is still wearing its little modal Google sign-in sheet, and I click into the field labeled Email, and hit CMD-backslash. Nothing happens.

So then I notice the little modal Google sign-in-sheet has a little button labeled Open In Safari.app. Which I click. Off I go in a new Safari window, which reads only "one moment please...". But there's nothing spinning or proceeding, and after waiting at least five moments I realize nothing is ever going to happen.

So finally I type in my Google email address in the little modal Google sign-in sheet, open up 1P4, locate the Google login, copy out the password, paste it into the password field, and ... I'm in.

Now I realize some of this might be Google, and some of it might be Safari (which has suddenly and inexplicably flipped out rendering this forum), and some of it certainly might be the nut behind the wheel, but I'd like to know -- how should I log in to Google Earth?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure how the Google Earth application works under the hood, but if it is a stand alone application, as it appears to me to be, 1Password won't auto fill and submit credentials except in web forms. Copy and paste is your best bet.

I don't have an answer for why you're having trouble opening it in Safari.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chap_harrison‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble logging in to Google Earth right now. As @hawkmoth says, 1Password is not able to fill in non-browser apps. To fill a Login in an app like this, try the following:

• Click the key icon in the menu bar, or use ⌘⌥\ to open 1Password Mini
    • Start typing the name of your Login (or find it using the mouse)
    • While viewing the item's details, click the anchor in the bottom left corner to 'pin' the details to your screen
    • Copy and paste your username and password into the fields on the app.

If your username is easy enough to type in, your steps get even shorter. Once the correct Login is highlighted in Mini, simply hit 'Enter' to copy the password onto your clipboard, then paste into the field.

I hope this helps, but please do let us know if you have any further questions - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.