Notification disable option doesn't work

Options
Jay Janssen
Jay Janssen
Community Member

I have unchecked the option in the beta to show notification when sync is disabled, but I still get the notification. I am syncing off of the local filesystem, FWIW.

Comments

• mverde
    Options

The option in the settings to turn off notifications is specific to the "toast" notifications that appear briefly in the lower half of the screen over top of the content. Turning this setting off should prevent those notifications from being displayed. The notifications in the notification drawer do not currently have a corresponding setting to disable them. This is a very popular request from our beta testers, so I will add your vote to theirs as well. Thank you for your feedback!

• kjg
    kjg
    Community Member
    Options

I came looking for this specifically. So +1 to turning off the system notification I guess.

• mverde
    Options

@kjg I will add your vote along with Jay's above. Thanks!

• mortstar
    mortstar
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

I notice in the latest beta (b18), that the wording of the setting has been changed to "Display pop-up notification when sync is completed" which makes it more clear what this setting actually does. This is an improvement, however, the Android paradigm is that these types of notifications are called "toast notifications" (as you already mentioned in this thread and others). For new users of the app, I'd recommend changing the wording slightly to "Display toast notifications when sync is completed".

I understand you might think not all users know what a 'toast notification' is, but the same is true for a 'pop-up notification'. If somebody is unsure, they can search for the information pretty quickly. A Google of "toast notifications" leads straight to the right information as opposed to a search for "pop-up notification" or "android pop-up notification".

Just my thoughts on the matter. I understand the setting now so it doesn't make much difference to me, just want to improve that 'first-look' experience.

• mverde
    Options

@mortstar‌ You are correct that we changed the language for this setting. We did this in an attempt to make its function a little more clear, as we were getting a lot of questions from our beta community asking us to explain what a toast is. We decided to change the description to "pop-up notifications" in order to both distinguish these notifications from those that appear in the notification drawer and avoid creating confusion over what a "toast" is. However, if we find that people are still needing to Google to figure out what the setting does, then we may need to consider changing the description further. Thank you for the suggestion!

This discussion has been closed.