Do I need to buy the iPhone app if I bought the desktop app? [yes, licenses are per-platform]

Options
jessoj
jessoj
Community Member
edited May 2014 in iOS

I just paid for the 1pass app fro my macbook and began to make some change overs on the awareness that it would sync with my other devices. What I didn't realize is that I need to invest more money in order to do that? Is that really the case? Do I have to buy 1pass for every device in order to use ti to its full capacity?

is there some way to sync my phone to it that doesn't require me to spend more and more in order to use this program?
There is little to no clear information communicating that to me as far as I have found.
Feeling Slightly Cheated

If I am mistaken, pardon me. Some information would be nice

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @jessoj,

1Password licenses are sold per-platform, which means that you'll need to buy 1Password for each operating system that you want to use it on. Since Apple provides no way to bundle apps on the App Store and Mac App Store, 1Password for iOS is necessarily a separate purchase from 1Password for Mac.

If you'd like to purchase 1Password 4 for iOS, you can do so on the App Store: http://j.mp/1PasCS

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always here to help! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'd like to add something to what JasperP has said.

Common variations you tend to see in the app store include; free, free with advertising, paid via up-front purchase or in-app purchase. I've seen a few free apps that require the parent program to be purchased for the mac, the difference between those and 1Password 4 is that 1Password 4 is an app entirely in its own right. It doesn't require 1Password on the desktop and I think there are a few that use it in that configuration. In contrast accompanying apps tend to be completely reliant on their parent app, without which it's wasted space on your iOS device.

You can of course still argue over the different philosophies and you may not agree with my opinion (or theirs) at all. Personally it's a purchase I've never regretted. There are still blips, functionality I dearly want to see implemented but after having used 1Password on the desktop and iOS for a while now I'd feel naked without them securing my personal information. That's not to suggest you guys should rest on your laurels ;) I'm still waiting for localised syncing of multiple vaults! (sorry, couldn't resist).

This discussion has been closed.