Can't Sync iOS App with DropBox (when Vault is in Subfolder?)

Options
Clavius
Clavius
Community Member

My iPad stopped syncing properly recently. It does not find the vault in my DropBox. It is working fine on my Android and Windows machines.

I noticed that it wasn't syncing. I tried reconnecting to DropBox. It connected, but said it couldn't find a vault and asked if I wanted to create a new one. Of course I said no.

I have deleted and re-installed the app on the iPad, now it can't find the vault at all. When it can't find the vault, the app crashes.

Note: I did not put the vault in the top folder of my DropBox (that would be messy) but put it in a subfolder. There is a file in the main directory (.ws.agile.1Password.settings) which appears to have text pointing to the vault. I can see that file and its contents on my iPad (and iPod), but the app apparently isn't looking at it.

I have tested this on my iPod and have the same problem.

Everything works fine on Windows and Android (beta testing Android app).

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Clavius,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble keeping things synced up right now. Here are the steps for setting up Dropbox sync on 1Password 4 for iOS. Please let me know where in the steps you're getting tangled up.

I'm also curious if you have renamed your primary keychain. At this time 1Password can only locate keychains with the default "1Password.agilekeychain" file name on initial set-up. If your keychain name has been changed, please change it back to the default and you should see better behaviour here.

• Clavius
    Clavius
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan‌, thanks for the response.

Here is what happens.

I start the app and select existing user and sync with DropBox. See First attachement.

I then am taken to drop box where I give permission to connect. Note the .ws.agile.1Password.settings file visible in DropBox in the second attachment.

Then I am taken back to 1Password and received the error message in attachment 3. When I click "dismiss" the application crashes.

When I restart the application, I get the message seen in attachment 4.

I have not renamed my primary keychain. Android and Windows applications work fine.

It appears that the iOS apps are not correctly looking for the keychain when it is in a subdirectory. The .ws.agile.1Password.settings correctly points to the keychain in the subdirectory, by the way.

• Clavius
    Clavius
    Community Member
    Options

In looking again at your comment, I looked at my keychain directory. Apparently when I set it up several months ago, I added some characters at the start of the keychain. It worked fine on iOS until recently.

The keychain directory is called "AMS 1Password.agilekeychain" The .ws.agile.1Password.settings file contains the text "Words/AMS 1Password.agilekeychain" pointing to the correctly named keychain.

Again, this is working properly on Android and Windows.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Clavius,

Your .ws.agile.1Password.settings file is helping Windows and Android to locate your "AMS 1Password.agilekeychain", but sync was re-designed on iOS in order to support the multiple vaults feature, so this file is no longer used on iOS.

At this time you will have to re-name your keychain to the default 1Password.agilekeychain in order to have 1Password for iOS recognize it as the primary vault during initial set-up.

An alternative is to set up a new primary vault on iOS, leave it empty, and then install your keychain as a secondary vault.

• Clavius
    Clavius
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.

Three questions.
    Will this change in design be applied to Windows and Android in the future?
    How can I safely rename my key chain, not losing my access on my other platforms?
    How can I set up a new primary vault?

It seems to me renaming will be the best long term solution, but want to be sure I don't lose my passwords.

Thanks again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Clavius,

Will this change in design be applied to Windows and Android in the future?

As Windows and Android are updated to 1Password 4, the ws.settings file will become obsolete there as well. I don't know at this time if there will be the same limitation regarding the primary vault and the default keychain name, but I do know that our developers are aware that this is an issue for many users, and they are looking into solutions for users who would prefer custom names for their keychain data.

How can I safely rename my key chain, not losing my access on my other platforms?

To rename your keychain, you'll first want to ensure that 1Password on Windows has been quit. Then, please follow the instructions in this post to safely re-name your keychain.

How can I set up a new primary vault?

If you re-name your keychain as in the instructions above, 1Password 4 for iOS will correctly find your keychain when you open 1Password 4 on your iOS device for the first time.

Here is the SetUp Guide for 1Password 4 for iOS. This should walk you through the process.

If you run into any snags during the process, we're here to help!

• Clavius
    Clavius
    Community Member
    Options

@megan, Thanks for the information. Here is what I did.

Made backup copies of my vault in Dropbox. Backed up my data from the 1Password application

Exited all browsers, shut down browser processes (Chrome may run in the background)
    Closed the 1Password application
    Killed the "Agile1pAgent.exe" in Windows Task Manager
    Renamed the vault directory to "1Password.agilekeychain"
    In Notepad, edited the vault name in .ws.agile.1Password.settings to match the new default name

At that point, everything worked fine on Windows and in the browser (I logged off and then on to restart "Agile1pAgent.exe").

At this point, I could sync with my iOS device.

However, my Android device sync failed as it was still looking for the old vault.

On my Android device, I went to Settings>Apps>1Password and selected "Clear Data" I then restarted 1Password which wanted to be setup from scratch, I selected DropBox sync, it found the vault and successfully synced my data.

Problem Solved!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Clavius‌

Thanks so much for letting me know that you're all sorted out! We're happy to help if you have any further questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.